Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started, I was doing kits and I would split the batch, do half to recipe and experiment on the other half so I could taste exactly what the difference was. I didn't do anything too radical though - added bourbon vanilla to a cream ale, added blueberries to an American Wheat, that kind of stuff.

Okay, but, that's smart!

You didn't show him the door! Was he a close relative?
I don't hire and fire; they just paired him with me to learn the ropes after he came back from a few months of company school. To add insult to injury: during contract negotiations the next year he told me he would cross the picket line if we went on strike, because 'I have bills to pay.' Like the rest of us didn't....:rolleyes:

Then a few months later, he ran for my position on the union's executive board. I think he was genuinely surprised when no one would second his nomination. :)

... during contract negotiations the next year he told me he would cross the picket line if we went on strike, because 'I have bills to pay.' Like the rest of us didn't....:rolleyes:

While it is very true that everyone has bills to pay it is also true that some tend to live a little closer to the line that others. At my workplace people asking for advances is common whereas I tend to have a couple months expenses available at all times without needing to liquidate other assets. Not that I'd like to eat away my reserve fund while not working, that is certainly a terrible plan.

While it is very true that everyone has bills to pay it is also true that some tend to live a little closer to the line that others. At my workplace people asking for advances is common whereas I tend to have a couple months expenses available at all times without needing to liquidate other assets. Not that I'd like to eat away my reserve fund while not working, that is certainly a terrible plan.
He was living with his parents and driving a junker, and he's almost as tight with a dollar as his dad is. So I'm not sure what bills he had that were so urgent....

Had we gone on strike, it would have been for issues that affect his next thirty years, not mine. I'm gone in a year anyway and my benefits weren't at risk. The company was offering to grandfather-in older employees' pensions and health plans, in the hopes that we'd say, 'screw it. I got mine; why should I go on strike to support a bunch of young punks?'

And after listening to the little turd volunteering to backstab us while we fought for him, I have to admit I did ask myself that.... I decided I shouldn't penalize his future wife and kids just because he's a shortsighted idiot.

.... I decided I shouldn't penalize his future wife and kids just because he's a shortsighted idiot.

She chose him! This thread will get back with annoying responses soon, we're dangerously close to "annoying coworkers" territory.

She chose him! This thread will get back with annoying responses soon, we're dangerously close to "annoying coworkers" territory.
Didn't mean to derail the thread. Here's one that fits both categories:

I think I've already mentioned the coworker who tells me with monotonous regularity that he doesn't have the patience to brew; when he wants a beer, he wants it now. I've tried explaining that I don't wait until I feel like having a beer before I start making some.....

Didn't mean to derail the thread. Here's one that fits both categories:

I think I've already mentioned the coworker who tells me with monotonous regularity that he doesn't have the patience to brew; when he wants a beer, he wants it now. I've tried explaining that I don't wait until I feel like having a beer before I start making some.....
Not the first derail, certainly not the last. Nobody seems to mind a great deal anyways (queue the peanut gallery)

I've got a couple friends like that and countless coworkers who have the exact same thought pattern. "6 hours of work and you don't get results for at least a month? Nope that ain't for me." I'll admit the first little while was tough to get the pipeline primed, now I'm brewing beyond my personal drinking capacity. No problems having to wait now.

Not the first derail, certainly not the last. Nobody seems to mind a great deal anyways (queue the peanut gallery)

I've got a couple friends like that and countless coworkers who have the exact same thought pattern. "6 hours of work and you don't get results for at least a month? Nope that ain't for me." I'll admit the first little while was tough to get the pipeline primed, now I'm brewing beyond my personal drinking capacity. No problems having to wait now.

I just had this happen to me this morning. My team lead comes up to asking about water profiles. Me and some others where I work are getting really into the whole chemistry of the brewing process. My team lead says "Man why would you try and match water from Germany? If I want a dang Germany Beer I'll go buy 2 and not worry about making water."

:smack:

Got hit today with another one I hear with monotonous regularity, in one form or another: "so are you gonna start selling some of this on the side, to pay for making it?"

-Ah... no.

"Why not?"

-Because I'd have to take the money I made selling beer, and go buy beer with it.

I gave up long ago on trying to explain the legal and practical hurdles in the way of selling homebrew. Assuming I was crazy enough to want to....;)

I stopped at the drive through across from the college yesterday after dropping my son off at work for another 6'r for when brew day was done. I mentioned to the girl there that it was National Home Brewer's day & that I didn't have any to drink yet. She looked at me kinda sheepishly & giggled. You'd think someone in her position would know that. Guess not?...:drunk:

I gave up long ago on trying to explain the legal and practical hurdles in the way of selling homebrew. Assuming I was crazy enough to want to....;)

If friends want to fill a tip jar when they're drinking so I can buy hops and grains, I won't say no, but you'd be a pretty big fool to set up a homebrew lemonade stand. But yeah, people always bring this up. Of course people sell stranger things and get away with it. :drunk:

Given the cost of a basic craft beer--at least $1.50 each--I suppose it's not that surprising people are curious about it.

Its been said over and over again but I got the classic "do you have anything like Coors Light?" this past weekend. Answer: "No."

I don't even bother to try explaining any more. :p

A friend and I were brewing Sunday and a couple of older guys walking around (down from Illinois visiting someone) stopped to see what we were cooking. I explained what we were doing offered them a beer. Invited them in they looked at the keezer and freaked a little.
1st guy: Damn how many taps?
me: 12
2nd guy: thats a lot
me: Nope, it's just enough
1st guy: How many beers is that?
me: I have about 800 glasses/bottles/servings in there
2nd guy: you don't think thats to many?
me: No, it's Hurricane prep everyone down here is suppose to stock up on necessities in case of a hurricane....I didn't point out the fact that I have 12 other kegs cooled or conditioning in the lagering fridges;)

A friend and I were brewing Sunday and a couple of older guys walking around (down from Illinois visiting someone) stopped to see what we were cooking. I explained what we were doing offered them a beer. Invited them in they looked at the keezer and freaked a little.
me: No, it's Hurricane prep everyone down here is suppose to stock up on necessities in case of a hurricane....I didn't point out the fact that I have 12 other kegs cooled or conditioning in the lagering fridges;)

You're my new best friend!!! :mug::mug::mug:

pb

And here I am all proud of myself for putting in a second tap

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

And here I am all proud of myself for putting in a second tap

I was patting myself on the back a couple of weeks ago because I had two 5 gal batches fermenting at the same time....

Just filled my containers with RO water at WallyWorld last night for this weekend's brew session. When I pulled my cart into the checkout, the clerk looked at the three 5-gallon jugs and said, "either you're preparing for the zombie apocalypse, or you're a home brewer."

I said, "both."

I was impressed the guy even considered home brewing. Most people just say something like, "gee, you must be thirsty!"

Just filled my containers with RO water at WallyWorld last night for this weekend's brew session. When I pulled my cart into the checkout, the clerk looked at the three 5-gallon jugs and said, "either you're preparing for the zombie apocalypse, or you're a home brewer."

I said, "both."

I was impressed the guy even considered home brewing. Most people just say something like, "gee, you must be thirsty!"

saw a guy at Wally World pushing a cart with 4 or 5 of those big jugs full of water, so I asked if he was a homebrewer

he laughed, said, "no" and continued on

I'm using this one this weekend. Taking homebrew to a bluegrass festival Saturday, I'm sure I'll get all the standard questions and comments

Getting smart-*** is fun, and I do my share of it. But it isn't necessarily the best way to win friends and influence people.

The normal response if you call someone's favorite beer piss water isn't gonna be, "gee. That really makes me feel kindly towards homebrewers, and gives me the urge to learn more about it instead of kicking this guy in the head.";)

Getting smart-*** is fun, and I do my share of it. But it isn't necessarily the best way to win friends and influence people.

The normal response if you call someone's favorite beer piss water isn't gonna be, "gee. That really makes me feel kindly towards homebrewers, and gives me the urge to learn more about it instead of kicking this guy in the head.";)

Indeed.

My first taste of real, actual BEER was at the Alchemist brewpub. I was a total n00b there, but the fact that the bartenders there were totally chill and liked to educate people on beer really is what made me look at homebrewing. The rest, as they say, is history.

A can of coors/coors light has it's time and place. I'd rather have a couple cans of ****ty lager after a softball game than a snifter of my belgian strong.

saw a guy at Wally World pushing a cart with 4 or 5 of those big jugs full of water, so I asked if he was a homebrewer

he laughed, said, "no" and continued on

I get my brew water at a local spring. When I do so, I usually get 40 gallons or so at a time. Sometimes other people are there with four or five one-gallon jugs. They usually ask me why I am getting so much water. I tell them that cooking meth is water intensive. :ban: For some reason, they usually don't have a lot of communication with me after that.

I never took you for a Dale Carnegie graduate Troy!

I only use that type of smart assery with my friends.

I never took you for a Dale Carnegie graduate Troy!

Actually, I'm a drop-out.

But being unable to follow good advice doesn't keep me from recognizing it when I hear it, or stop me from passing it on anyway....:)

For friends who prefer BMC...yeah, I'll rib them a bit. But not with strangers. We'll never win over anyone by mocking their tastes. Doing that only perpetuates the "beer snob" stereotype of craft beer drinkers and home brewers.

I think there's an unlocked potential within many BMC drinkers. Certainly, many will prefer BMC and stick to that. That is their taste. But there are others who, given the right beers to taste, would soon become more adventurous.

"That's awesome! Now, like I said before, give me your wallet, or I'll stab you."

ConfusedDog.jpg

"That's awesome! Now, like I said before, give me your wallet, or I'll stab you."
One of the unsung benefits of BMC: it can repel muggers. :D

I work out of town, and keep a motor home parked in the back yard of a friend/landlord. It's about a five-minute walk from there to a liquor store/gas station, where I buy most of my booze. Late one evening on my way back, an idiot jumped out from behind some oleander bushes and yelled, "awright, Mo'fo'! Gimme yo...."

That's as far as he got. I was walking along swinging a 24-oz can of Bud in a plastic grocery bag (they were out of the little paper ones), and he popped up at the perfect moment for me to accelerate my swing and lay that can up alongside his head. As he dropped to his knees, I kicked him in the face. He made a weird sound, and just laid on down sideways.

I made sure he was breathing steadily and not bleeding too much, and headed on back to the motor home. I was tempted to take his little nickel-plated, Italian-looking toy with me, but decided no good could come of it....:) And I did drive instead of walk for a while, just in case he was the sort who would hold a grudge.

By the way, the beer was fine - even though the can was caved in on one side. I thumped the top a few times before pulling the tab, and it poured like a champ.

That's a fantastic story. We should start a how beer saved your life thread

Latest posts

Back