Modelo Negra clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sladek

Reaction score
Any Modelo Negra "Munich Dunkel-style Lager" clone recipes? I don't mean a Vienna. Seems all the recipes are for Viennas not Dunkels.

"Brewed longer to enhance the flavors, this Munich Dunkel-style Lager gives way to a rich flavor and remarkably smooth taste."

Was thinking about making a Dunkel and use WLP940 Mexican Lager Yeast. Maybe throw in some flaked maize? thoughts? suggestions?

Last edited:
This is a great beer but very tricky to figure out I think. Just by drinking it I can't tell you what's in it. If you make a good copy please tell me how you did it.

I don't know, but I'd try mostly Munich malt, with a little 2-row and a little corn. (the 2 row is mainly to help convert the corn) Use something like Carafa II, Carafa III, or Midnight Wheat malt for the color. German hops or Mount Hood, and whatever lager yeast you have handy.

I’ve not made it, but if I were to take a stab at it, i’d go with:

Approx. 1.048OG
60% 2-Row
25% Munich
10% Flaked Maize
5% Caramel 60-80
Then use Carafa Special or Black Patent to get the rest of the color.

Use some mild/neutral hops for 18IBU bittering @ 60 min

Then pitch a HUGE starter of 940 and ferment cold.

If it is anything like every other Mexican industrial lager, I'd bet its the same liquid as Especial but with caramel color added. So 6-row, 20+% corn, and hop extract for bittering. Maybe there are some pellet hops in there, but not much. Much of the flavor comes from a cold fermentation under pressure to minimize esters.

Thanks all! Kind of what i had in mind. Make a Dunkel, add 1-2 pounds of flaked maize and use WLP940.

According to Modelo

First brewed in Tacuba, Mexico in 1925, Modelo Negra, formerly Negra Modelo, is a medium-bodied lager with slow-roasted caramel malts brewed for a rich, smooth taste. Brewed longer to enhance its flavors, Modelo Negra redefines "Dark Beer" because it is exceptionally drinkable and remarkably smooth. This Munich Dunkel-style Lager is brewed with galena and super galena hops as well as caramel malt, black malt and two and six row malt barley. These ingredients are meticulously brewed together to give Modelo Negra that bright, rich, amber hue and that iconic, medium-bodied flavor.

Also
Modelo Negra contains Filtered Water, Yeast, Malted Barley, Rice, and Hops.

What is the nutritional information for Modelo Negra?
*Based on a 12 ounce serving
Calories: 180
Carbohydrates (grams): 16
Protein (grams): 1.5
% ABV: 5.4%
Fat (grams): 0
Sodium (milligrams): 15
Potassium (milligrams): 140

Thanks! Yeah, I see corn for Especial and rice for Negra. So..."...galena and super galena hops as well as caramel malt, black malt and two and six row malt barley..." and some rice.

Method: All Grain
Style: Vienna Lager (ish)
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

Original Gravity:

Final Gravity:

ABV (standard):
5.99%

IBU (tinseth):

SRM (morey):

Fermentables:

10 lb Vienna Malt
8 oz Caramel / Crystal 60L
3.25 ozAmerican - Chocolate
2 lbFlaked Corn
12.7 lbTotal

Hops:

0.5 oz Magnum - Boil60 min
1 oz Tettnanger 4.5 - Boil10 min

Yeast:

White Labs - Mexican Lager Yeast WLP940 (huge 5 liter starter)

This yeast is necessary in my opinion. This recipe is very close to Negra, you could sub out a couple lbs of Vienna for Munich.

Last edited:
That's a Vienna not a "Munich style dunkle". Website says they use rice not corn, 2 row. 6 row, dark caramel malts and black malt. "This Munich Dunkel-style Lager is brewed with galena and super galena hops as well as caramel malt, black malt and two and six row malt barley. These ingredients are meticulously brewed together to give Modelo Negra that bright, rich, amber hue and that iconic, medium-bodied flavor.

Also
Modelo Negra contains Filtered Water, Yeast, Malted Barley, Rice, and Hops."

That's a Vienna not a "Munich style dunkle". Website says they use rice not corn, 2 row. 6 row, dark caramel malts and black malt. "This Munich Dunkel-style Lager is brewed with galena and super galena hops as well as caramel malt, black malt and two and six row malt barley. These ingredients are meticulously brewed together to give Modelo Negra that bright, rich, amber hue and that iconic, medium-bodied flavor.

Also
Modelo Negra contains Filtered Water, Yeast, Malted Barley, Rice, and Hops."
Well it's not exactly a Vienna, but that's cool. I guess you already have the recipe you were requesting? I'd also like to see a true "Munich dunkel" brewed with rice (or 6 row for that matter). You'd be surprised what the corn does for the Mexican character of this beer.
20180806_210545.jpeg

Careful. I suggested something similar and was informed that they want a Munich Dunkel.

That does look like a good recipe (with a good record), and very similar to what I use.

I don't care what the F anyone calls it. (I say this, and I myself am BJCP Certified :D ) It tastes damn good by any name, and it's almost the right color. Add an ounce of black malt to darken, I don't care. Flaked maize is a bunch of hooey, doesn't need any. WLP940 is a solid yeast choice however (in lieu of 2206).

Cheers all. :rock:

Well it's not exactly a Vienna, but that's cool. I guess you already have the recipe you were requesting? I'd also like to see a true "Munich dunkel" brewed with rice (or 6 row for that matter). You'd be surprised what the corn does for the Mexican character of this beer.
View attachment 582562

Yeah Modelo states its a "Munich Style Dunkel" but has 6 row and rice? So its not an authentic dunkel. And the recipe i have seen posted, including yours, are not authentic Viennas. so... I guess in the end if it tastes like the target beer thats all that matters. But for the record and according to Modleo its a "Munich Style Dunkel" and not a Vienna as everyone keeps stating.

Here's another version from "Clone Brews" book.

It doesn't mention corn, but I use some in mine and it's delicious.
20180807_072422.jpeg

I guess it's wrong about the style, because it claims Vienna lager. I don't think there's any question that it falls outside of both styles discussed.

It doesn't fit either style as defined by BJCP. It might have been a Vienna or dunkles way back in history, but it's evolved over time. So you really need to ask yourself if you want (A) a Negra clone regardless of style, or (B) a dunkles regardless of it being a perfect clone.

It doesn't fit either style as defined by BJCP. It might have been a Vienna or dunkles way back in history, but it's evolved over time. So you really need to ask yourself if you want (A) a Negra clone regardless of style, or (B) a dunkles regardless of it being a perfect clone.
Have you tried making any of the light colored Mexican lagers? I was thinking about doing something like the Especial Modelo. Maybe all pilsner with a couple lbs of corn with the same yeast (940) and hops.

Interesting information, which confirms my taste buds.
Negra Modelo tastes OK but why they call it a "mexican beer" is beyond me..

Have you tried making any of the light colored Mexican lagers? I was thinking about doing something like the Especial Modelo. Maybe all pilsner with a couple lbs of corn with the same yeast (940) and hops.

No not yet, but your recipe sounds like exactly what I will do when I get to that point. Cheers and good luck.

Latest posts

Back