Mistakes, mistakes...help me save my stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonecutter2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I had a brew day today. Had a couple mistakes that really hit me hard.

I'm making an oatmeal stout, a 2 gallon batch.

Should have had an OG of 1.056, but I was occupied bottling some batches and I think my mash ended up way too cold...discovered after some undetermined amount of time, 20-30 minutes, that I was no longer near 156 but into the mid 40's. I really should have just extended my mash to 90 minutes and babysitted the thing to get full conversion. Lesson learned.

To add insult to injury, I think my boil off rate wasn't right (got a new 4 gallon kettle recently) and so I ended up not boiling off enough water, I think. That is a double whammy on the OG. Way too low. Bitterness...less of a concern at this point, I just want beer and not near beer.

Long story short...

I only ended up with 1.030 - 1.028 as a OG. Should be 1.056. Yikes :(

I had no further time to goof with things before SWMBO and my kiddo get home, so I just pitched some S04 in a grumbly mood figuring this is some seriously wasted grain.

How to save this brew...

As best I can figure, I could add about 1.13lb (let's call it 1.1lb) of DME to the 2 gallons of wort I have (with just recently pitched yeast) into a sanitized kettle. Stir well, check gravity, rack back into fermenters, and pray.

Thoughts?

First big screw up so far, and I've been at this for 8 months so I guess that's okay, haha.

Thanks for any suggestions you have!

Add the DME. Don't multi-task. Was thought to be a efficient use of time, but has been proven to cause stress and loss of productivity.

I put the DME into a 6 gallon bucket I have and then dumped the 2 gallons into that. The plus side is the yeast had already woke up and they just got a ton of aeration too, and lots more sugar to eat. Hopefully it really takes off now.

You're right, no more multitasking. Have to pay attention in the future.

Latest posts

Back