Beginner Mead Mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieDanger

Reaction score
Hello!

I fear I may have ruined my mead before it had a chance to get started. I mistakenly added some (maybe 1/3 tsp) of potassium sorbate into my mead right at the beginning (I’m using a gallon container). Only after reading the back did I realize I was meant to add sodium metabisulfite instead!

I haven’t added the yeast in yet (the recipe I’m following said to wait 24 hours) but now I’m concerned I’ve already made a mistake and that the potassium sorbate will inhibit any yeast from getting fermentation going.

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you so much!

All is not lost! Do you have another 1gallon jug? If yes, split your batch and add water to the desired level. Now, instead of having 1/3 tsp per gallon, you have 1/6 of a teaspoon, and although it’s not the best thing to do, your yeast will probably be fine. You’ll be making a “session mead” which IMO is better than a full strength version. I would suggest one whole pack per gallon. (if using wine yeast) Use go ferm protect when rehydrating your yeast, add fermaid O and follow the staggered nutrient addition schedule (Tonsa protocol) found on the mead made right website.

You’ll be making a “session mead” which IMO is better than a full strength version. I would suggest one whole pack per gallon. (if using wine yeast) Use go ferm protect when rehydrating your yeast, add fermaid O and follow the staggered nutrient addition schedule (Tonsa protocol) found on the mead made right website.

This is exactly the situation the TANG protocol addresses.

My meads, especially the sessions, have improved massively in terms of clean flavor since I started using TANG.

https://experimeads.com/2017/10/24/g-ferm-yan-and-mineral-protocols/

Thank you all so much! So far I'm seeing some very small bubbles in the airlock so I'm hoping it's OK - for good measure I started a separate mead (with cinnamon and peaches!) in it as well, so hopefully I'll have a lot of mead, and worst case I'll just have some.
Thank you everyone for your insight! I'm sure I'll be asking more questions soon!

Back