Miller lite clone . why the heck would you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still get down on some BMC if the time is right, like the race (Indy, not Nascar), carb day, etc. Its cheaper and more practical to put away 18 of those throughout the course of the day instead of dropping 45$ on 3 six packs of a craft beer of my choice.

As for GMO, I think its a wash. That is my opinion though. If people want to go GMO free, by all means, more power to you. Just know you are missing out on seedless watermelons...

I had a nurse in the OR oneday jump me about Splenda and another food I ate and how it did this and that, bla bla bla. I kindly interupted her and stated that the bottle of rum and two packs of cigarettes I consumed on the weekends would probably fare way worse than the Splenda, but I thanked her for her concern.

I have a hard time imagining a more challenging beer to brew than Miller Lite. There is NOTHING to hide behind. I am glad people are doing it...I think it would be a great way to really learn about your system.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Magic.

I have a hard time imagining a more challenging beer to brew than Miller Lite. There is NOTHING to hide behind. I am glad people are doing it...I think it would be a great way to really learn about your system.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Magic.

I was very surprised at the taste of the ml clone. The sample tasted much better / a bit more malt taste to it and the hops aroma was bright (hallertau)

I don't mind Ml. So.. Logical for me to put down a home brew batch for about $10 (ish)

Are you really going for a specific Miller Lite flavor? Or just an easy drinking lighter beer?

Are you really going for a specific Miller Lite flavor? Or just an easy drinking lighter beer?

I chose the Ml clone because I was familiar with the taste and it was in the calorie range I wanted. I searched for others and then went back to to Ml clone because I had the goods on hand.

After this batch goes to bottles I'm going to think of modifications to make it exactly the way I want it. Possibly do a smash version with cascade. (Maybe)

A couple of things I've learned from making these light yellow beers. One, aging is important. In the crop chopper lager, the difference between 4 weeks and 6 weeks is amazing. The other thing, is a little hops goes a long way. I FWH my light beers. I think it makes the hop flavor a little smoother. That might just be me.

HFC tricks the pancreas into Not making insulin (in some people). There's allot of info out there about it.
Not true too much of any sugar will do that. The problem is that it is in everything now because its so cheap ie soda cheaper than juice, candy cheaper than fruit etc.

A couple of things I've learned from making these light yellow beers. One, aging is important. In the crop chopper lager, the difference between 4 weeks and 6 weeks is amazing. The other thing, is a little hops goes a long way. I FWH my light beers. I think it makes the hop flavor a little smoother. That might just be me.

Yeah. I'm getting impatient. I think I am going to go buy some Sam Smith pilse to pacify myself. Just waiting for the yeast layer to drop so I can put in secondary and add the amylase enzyme. Then give it seven days . then cold crash / bottle. I will do a pet bottle to crack when it carbs a little to get a taste.

You're not alone. FWH hopping definitely smoothes out the "hop bite" for me as well. Still bitter, but not as aggressive.

The recipe calls for the AE. So I'm going to go with that (I think) and maybe make a change on the next batch. I need to take a sample but waiting for the yeast to drop first . I like to drink the hydro sample

I have had modelo a few times wasn't crazy about it but didn't hate it...

The GMO grain that is produced by Monsanto Corp. For Miller Lite is treated heavily with chemicals and is engineered to with stand heavy doses of pesticide. In Europe GMO grain is banned because it is consistently linked to liver cancer.
Do you have links to the research on that? I find it hard to believe. First there are all sorts of possible genetic modifications that can be done to grain and they all cause liver cancer?

Frank, did you post your recipe in this thread. Been following the topic through the start and all the derailments, and think I'd like to give it a shot brewing my first all grain a little down the road. I love a nice easy drinking beer for tailgating and grilling.

Cheers!

Frank, did you post your recipe in this thread. Been following the topic through the start and all the derailments, and think I'd like to give it a shot brewing my first all grain a little down the road. I love a nice easy drinking beer for tailgating and grilling.

Cheers!
Hi. Yes.. The derailments lol.

The recipe is

For a five gallon batch

2 pounds Two Row
1.75 pounds six row
1.75 pounds flaked corn

I used safale 05 and didn't lager so technically this is an ale

Also amylase enzyme

The full detail recipe is here in the bht forum search for triple hopped miller lite

That thread has all the info and discussions/specs

Please let me know how yours comes out

So, the Miller Lite Clone has been in the bottle eight days now. I cracked one open.... Love it.. its light... easy to drink and the hops shine thru. Technically ,mine is an ale, I used safale 05 and did not lager it. Its delicious. Going to try to include a picture here.

ml_ale.jpg

for the OP subject. Brew whatever you want to brew at all times. It's your time, money and more importantly beer. I consider an american light lager to be one of the hardest styles to brew. Not only is it impossible to mask off flavors from even a slightly off fermentation, mash, ingrediants etc..., it also should be crystal clear, making it hard to brew. I wish every homebrewer attempted it once if only to be a study into their own brewing process.

as for the derailment of the post on GMO etc...

I am not mr. health nut. But the new types of GMO plants coming are getting a bit ridiculous. Farmers have been using hybrids for longer than i can speculate, however there is a long way between crossing two plants and outright modifying a plant in a lab. Things like bt-corn are in my opinion going over the line. These are corn plants that produce their own insecticide. They've also done this to potatoes and cotton. There are already 2 results happening because of these modifications. 1, beneficial insects, ie predatory insects that eat pests, and insects that pollinate plants are being effected in a negative way. 2.The insects that are targeted by the plants are already becoming resistant so the farmers are again forced to have the bt plants as well as spray other insecticides. I think the biggest risk is the first issue. If you get rid of the pollinating insects (including bees) you risk collapsing the entire agriculture industry. They are already shipping bees via large semi sized bee trucks that travel the country based on the season of the area because there are too few local bees to pollinate effectively. Insecticides are not the only cause of bee population lessening, but it's not helping either.

A secondary issue with GMO is that farms are now specialized in one crop. It used to be that farmers would rotate their fields because different plants use different nutrients in the soil, and when those plants die and return to the soil they replenish nutrients that other crops need. This also helps to keep harmful insects in check to some extent. Now because it's easier to just kill off the insects and pump the ground full of fertilizer farmers have a cost incentive to use GMO. I'm not against fertilizing and coming from a farm community not against farmers. But it does help to understand that there are some negative consequences to the current GMO coming out.

I'm not telling anybody to outright avoid GMO, but it's good to understand what's going on in the background and make your own decisions about it.

The light beer clone I did was delicious. I had my brother taste mine and the ml side by side blind test... He couldn't see the bottles or labels... He said it didn't taste at all like ml and thought mine was store bought. He was under the impression home made beer was crappy. So for this experiment in happy with the brew. Think I will change it up a little next time and make it with fruit next time. Cost 42 cents .Calorie count is 105 cals for a twelve ounce bottle all organic .

The light beer clone I did was delicious. I had my brother taste mine and the ml side by side blind test... He couldn't see the bottles or labels... He said it didn't taste at all like ml and thought mine was store bought. He was under the impression home made beer was crappy. So for this experiment in happy with the brew. Think I will change it up a little next time and make it with fruit next time. Cost 42 cents .Calorie count is 105 cals for a twelve ounce bottle all organic .

Your pic looks a little darker than miller lite. But it sounds like you got what you like.

Yeah it's a little darker and I did not lager it I made it as an ale with safale o5. Tastes good

So I let the miller lite clone sit in the bottle longer- it looks a little clearer. The last pic I posted was after nine days - it has been in the bottle now 20 days and it tastes better too.

DSCN1447.jpg

updated before and after bottle aging of the ML Clone that is actually an American lite beer ale (not a lager)

beerlesson.jpg

Working slowly at fueling a pipeline. I have 24 bottles of strawberry blonde all ale. 45 bottles of a shandy wheat ale ... Sitting.. Mocking me... Waiting to carb. Plus three full carboys on secondary....

For the longest time after I got into home brewing, I hated the standard American style light lager for what it wasn't. Now I've come to appreciate it for what it is, which admittedly isn't much. It's not exactly my favorite style but then again I'm not really into sour beers or anything Belgian either. It's all in personal preference. I can definitely tell a difference in taste between all of them though so one recipe to fit the entire BMC spectrum doesn't cut it. There's far more to it than 5 gallons of cat piss with 3 hop pellets. Everyone should attempt such a beer sometime to help them improve their skills. If you always brew styles that hide flaws, how will you ever know what flaws you had and where you can improve?

I've got my own version of a Miller Lite clone that's a bit different from the one posted on the forum. Here's mine. Adjust yours based on your efficiency.

Miller Lite Clone O.G. 1.040 IBU: 11.45 SRM: 2.31 EFF: 75% Batch size: 5.5 gallon post boil

2.5 lbs. Am. 2 Row (32.50%)
2.5 lbs. Am. 6 Row (32.50%)
2.75 lbs. Am. Flaked Corn (35%)
.33 oz. Hallertau (3.90 AAU) @ 60 mins
.33 oz. Hallertau (3.90 AAU) @ 30 mins
.33 oz. Hallertau (3.90 AAU) @ 10 mins
WLP840: American Lager Yeast
1 tsp Amylase Enzyme in secondary
Mash @ 149° for 120 min
Mashout @ 168° for 10 min
90 min boil
Ferment @ 48° F