Blue Moon clone that made a heck of a Hefeweizen by accident?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJL531

Soon to be exploring the US, one beer at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So the recipe starts out as a take on Blue Moon clone. I have some extra ingredients laying around and just enough for a 3 gallon wheat beer.

Grain Bill:
3lbs Briess Bavarian Wheat DME (half boil / half late edition)
2oz honey - late edition
1 tsp dried orange peel

This gets added to a mini mash I did with 7oz Munich and 4 oz Aromatic, both Briess grains. (no notes on why I did this)
.5 oz Sabro 13.8 10 minutes
.5 oz Sabro 13.8 5 minutes
34 IBU

30 minute boil late one evening, let cool overnight, pitched 1/2 pack (remainder of open pack) of Labrew CBC-1 (I made a 1 liter starter to ensure it was still good)
OG 1.057
FG 1.020 - no idea why so high
Day 3 I hit FG and it never moved so I bottled at day 7.
Primed with dextrose and let sit a few weeks.

It tastes like a bold German Hefeweizen. Clear-ish - hardly cloudy and has a hint of clove and the banana flavor.
I have about 6 bottles left and I'm drinking one now.
This was bottled on August 28, 2022 and today is Jan 12, 2023.
Flavor has held up and the bottles have been in the beer fridge for at least a months.
Website says CBC-1 has a neutral flavor and this beer has a nice mouthfeel (one would hope at 1.020) but no residual sweetness.

Was it the yeast?
Is this what a near 100% wheat beer would taste like?

I'm not a huge fan of the Hefeweizen, but this is very drinkable for me.

Comments, questions, insults?

Was it the yeast?

I don't know what happened with you beer, but you should not have got clove and banana from CBC-1. CBC-1 is a very clean strain, which is one of the reasons it's intended for cask conditioning.

Is this what a near 100% wheat beer would taste like?

Probably not. Your Briess Wheat DME is made from 65% wheat malt and 35% barley malt.

FG 1.020 - no idea why so high

CBC-1 doesn't eat maltotriose. That's another reason it's intended for cask conditioning.

Back