Miller lite clone . why the heck would you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I may give your recipe a try.

As for improvement I think I would like to get a bit more taste of malt .

I'm pleased with my ml ale clone lol. It's very clean and crisp and the hops flavor is very bright.. One of my testers said it reminded him off sierra Nevada pale ale.. A little... So I take that as a compliment..

I think I'm actually going to redo mine with a tad more 2row. And going to throw your recipe in a pot as well.

For some reason the grain weights didn't paste over even though the hop weights did. The recipe is on my work computer so tomorrow I'll go add those back in. It leaves a pretty dry and thin beer so decrease the corn or maybe delete the enzyme from the secondary if you want more flavor from it. This recipe was intended to get as close to ML as possible which just doesn't have that much to it.

Weird, I went back to edit it to add the grain weights in and they were there. I'm not sure why I couldn't see them in the thread when I looked at it through my phone? Strange. Oh well needless to say it's all there. Just remember the efficiency% above and adjust the weights according to yours.

I stopped drinking BMC Lagers when I read about all the DiHydrogen Monoxide they put in their beers. Do you have any idea how many children are killed every year due to DiHydrogen Monoxide related incidents?!?
If you aspirate it, it can actually displace oxygen in the lungs causing asphyxiation.

Interesting thread. I got me to thinking that maybe a fun thing to do would be to try to go back to the "old recipes" like what Coors supposedly did a few years back when they stopped using rice flour or starch and went back to using the actual grain. Perhaps some of these shortcuts camp about after Prohibtiion, but I wonder if some are actually mush more recent that that. I recall in the 60's before they became primarily known as a purveyor of nasty bovine themed malt liquor, Schlitz was fairly popular and not so much as a cheap alternative to Bud or Miller Hi Life. I seem to recall my brother saying that they had gone back to an older recipe and it was not bad. Same with Miller.

I think if you try the "original" Coors (not the Silver Bullet), you'll see a big difference. It might not even be changes in the recipe, it might just be the difference between light and regular.

I'm not sure why people are down on rice and corn. They are, in fact, grains.

Also, I noticed that when I brewed with three hop additions (60, 15, 0), I got a much more "rounded" flavor than when I only do two additions. So I think they are on to something with "triple hops."

I think if you try the "original" Coors (not the Silver Bullet), you'll see a big difference. It might not even be changes in the recipe, it might just be the difference between light and regular.

I'm not sure why people are down on rice and corn. They are, in fact, grains.
Supposedly the change made difference with the regular Coors. I am also told that Miller High Life is also better now. I remember drinking the Miller on tap at the old Ludway hamburger joint in Miami back in the early 80's and it was not bad much to our surprise. The Lite was too nasty even for poor frat boys. Someone told me a few years back that in addition to revving PBR, some of the hipster kids had taken to putting lime in High Life longnecks and calling it ghetto Corona. Having drank a few Coronas in my misspent youth,, I might consider that an insult if i was Miller. :D

Supposedly the change made difference with the regular Coors. I am also told that Miller High Life is also better now. I remember drinking the Miller on tap at the old Ludway hamburger joint in Miami back in the early 80's and it was not bad much to our surprise. The Lite was too nasty even for poor frat boys. Someone told me a few years back that in addition to revving PBR, some of the hipster kids had taken to putting lime in High Life longnecks and calling it ghetto Corona. Having drank a few Coronas in my misspent youth,, I might consider that an insult if i was Miller. :D

PBR has always been good beer. Last time I had a High Life (because the bar didn't have PBR), I didn't like it. Kind of sour.

I don't mind PBR at all. I find it to be the most desirable of the American style lagers. We usually have some on hand since my wife drinks it. Incidentally, here's a clone for it.

PBR clone O.G. 1.050 IBU: 11.95 SRM: 3.23 EFF: 75% Batch size: 5.5 gallon post boil

8.25 lbs. Am. 6 Row (81.50%)
.875 lbs. Flaked Corn (8.60%)
.875 lbs. Flaked Rice (8.60%)
.125 lbs Crystal 10°L (1.20%)
.60 oz. Fuggle (4.50 AAU) @ 60 mins
.40 oz. Fuggle (4.50 AAU) @ 5 mins
WLP840: American Lager Yeast
Mash @ 149° for 120 min
Mash @ 168° for 10 min
90 min boil

Latest posts

Back