Gee whiz, what are you guys doing for corn these days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soitenly! I've never held back any recipe - it's not like I'm selling my beer!
This is my 4th and latest iteration that's conditioning right now while I'm enjoying the essentially identical 3rd batch. It has a familiar taste to it :)

ballantine_IPA.jpg

Cheers!

1716935825337.png

Imma stick with Ritebrew, even shipped to Western MA.

I'm also +1 with @day_trippr that the BF recipe builder when I have even 30% flaked corn comes within normal Balrogish errors of reaching predicted gravity.

This is my 4th and latest iteration that's conditioning right now while I'm enjoying the essentially identical 3rd batch. It has a familiar taste to it :)

View attachment 849581

Cheers!

View attachment 849581

Cheers!
Thank you!!!

Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions!

Made a run out to the fearsome land of Northern Virginia and its many ghastly drivers to hit the H-Mart and had a thought, "Hey, they've got a pretty good Latin American aisle. Wonder what sorta corny goodness they might have hiding over there?"

I ended up grabbing this: 7 bucks for 5lbs of pre-cooked corn meal. Ingredients list only "pre-cooked yellow corn meal, enriched." I'm assuming it's pre-gelatinized so I'll skip the cereal mash on it, but I intend to boil it on my first run, just to make certain it checks out. They also had a similar pre-cooked product for 5 bucks for 5lbs, but it listed lime on the ingredients. Not sure if that's the citrus fruit kind of lime or the raises your pH kinda lime, but I decided that there are at least some limits to my cheapness.

Behold! Corny majesty at nearly half the price of what Beer, Beer, and More Beer, B3, MoreFlavor, MoreBeer, MoreWhatever (just pick a name and stick with it!) is charging.

View attachment 849432

Considering cost of gas, hassle of the harrowing drive, et al, what does the total cost per pound end up at?

I got corn from a neighbour at 0.27 US$/Kg or 27

US$ for 100 kg...
It's too hot now but in the cold season, I'm planning to try corn plus sticky rice which has a higher sugar content that jasmine rice. I'll get it for free as we grow it ourselves. Well not really free but at cost price, because we have to buy the seeds, fertilizer etc....

Considering cost of gas, hassle of the harrowing drive, et al, what does the total cost per pound end up at?
Cheap as I am, I'm lucky to drive a sports car (a cheap Miata because I'm cheap) so gas doesn't factor in very much at 37mpg. Plus, I love an excuse to drive my car, even if it is to the hellscape of clueless driving that is N. Virginia. ;)

I had the opportunity to brew with the PAN today, this stuff that I posted on the prior page...
IMG_4183.jpeg

I said that I intended to boil it on the first go around, but with today's surprise brew session I rationalized that boiling it will accomplish nothing because the goal is to use it w/o boiling, right? May as well just dump it in the tun and figure out if it actually needs to be boiled right?

Anyway, it performed flawlessly without pre-boiling l and I saw a 2% bump in my mash efficiency to 94%.* Mash-in was a bit worrisome, with the 2lbs of PAN and 1lb of obliterated ALDI instant rice. It was a lot goopier and far more viscous than a flaked mash, but it quickly thinned out and lautered beautifully even with my really tight mill settings for conditioned malt. I thought about using some rice hulls, but didn't. The point of this exercise was to see how the Pan mashed.

Two Borat thumbs up for PAN. It's cheaper than flaked, you don't have to process it to get the most out of it, it's more efficient, and it lauters the same as flaked. Great success! I like!
borat.png

*I was actually a bit surprised that flaked corn, when obliterated in the mill, is only 2% less efficient than what amounts to corn dust.

Attachments

• IMG_4183.jpeg
    IMG_4183.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
View attachment 849327

Go team rice!

Jasmin rice lager sounds tasty.
Brewed a jasmin rice lager on Tuesday, admittedly with ALDI instant jasmine rice--so not the best representative of jasmine rice. Didn't get any jasmine in the mash tun, nor the kettle, nor into the fermenter. Will be several weeks before I can report on the final product, but I expect it'll taste like a rice beer.

View attachment 849327

Go team rice!

Jasmin rice lager sounds tasty.
The jasmin rice lager is in the keg and pouring. Not gonna lie, even with the super cheap ALDI jasmine rice, there's a little sumpthin' sumpthin' going on in this beer. Unusually for me, I exercised a very light hand with the hops on this one, to give the cheap ALDI jasmine rice a fighting chance. They're absolutely there and they play nicely with the knock out Hallertau Mit. They're subtle, but undeniably present. This is certainly going into the rotation.

Nice summer beer for when it's hot as hell and so muggy that you're regretting the fact that you jettisoned your gills in the womb.

[Edit: We also considered Basmati rice. Given that Jasmine rice has a pronounced flavor, I'm not rushing to try Basmati rice. I think its subtle notes will be devoured by the carbonation, even more so by the hops of even the subtlest lagers]

Last edited:
The jasmin rice lager is in the keg and pouring. Not gonna lie, even with the super cheap ALDI jasmine rice, there's a little sumpthin' sumpthin' going on in this beer. Unusually for me, I exercised a very light hand with the hops on this one, to give the cheap ALDI jasmine rice a fighting chance. They're absolutely there and they play nicely with the knock out Hallertau Mit. They're subtle, but undeniably present. This is certainly going into the rotation.

Nice summer beer for when it's hot as hell and so muggy that you're regretting the fact that you jettisoned your gills in the womb.

I don't suppose you'd care to share your recipe?

BTW, I never got to jettison my gills. Might explain why I drink like a fish.

/I'll be here all week. Try the veal. Don't forget to tip the waitress.

Ba, dum, paahhh!

Forgive me, I play stringed instruments. I likely got that drum crash all wrong.

I'm never shy about sharing recipes! As Tripper noted above, I ain't making any money off of this swill! ;) You're welcome to any of the garbage I brew.

Here are screen shots of the relevant Beersmith sheets. Note that I lied earlier about using Haller, turns out I used Saaz. The yeast I used isn't 34/70, it's Jasper Yeast Franconian Lager. I was too lazy to write up a new yeast in Beersmith, so I just rolled with the copy/paste from this recipe's origins as Panther Piss Super Dry. I've contributed to a post in the Yeast and Fermentation section regarding this yeast. Suffice it to say, 34/70 or S-189 will get the job done just fine. I'm a big -189 fan, but I would prefer 34/70 on this one. Lager yeast tastes like lager yeast, don't think the Franconian is critical to this recipe.

Here's all the boring pictures, note that the first page is so stupidly long that I had to take two screenies to fit it all in.
Jasmine #1.png

#2.png

#3.png

#4.png

#5.png

#6.png

Let me know if you have any questions, I enjoy talking about the nitty gritty aspects of recipe formulation.

[Edit: you'll also note that my volumes are a mess. They're not, actually. I went back to fly sparging when I bought my SS Brewtech Brewbuckets, so I suddenly became a lot more efficient. Rather than re-do all my recipes to account for this higher efficiency, I just left them alone, added an extra 1gal into my second step, and brewed for 7gals to fill my new, larger fermenters knowing that I'll run 1.005 fatter than Brewsmith predicts. It was easier that way. As you'll see, BS predicts 1.045 and I came out around 1.050ish. It was just way easier to be a slob and know that I'll brew 1gallon larger and 1.005 fatter than create a new equipment profile and change all of my hundreds of recipes to that new profile.]

Last edited:
Back