Mexican Lager Yeast WLP940 Pure Pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckc1

Reaction score
Happy New Year to all!
Need a little help on two subjects please.
This is only my second attempt to make a starter. My first was for a pale ale and worked awesome. I am somewhat confused/concerned my lager starter may have failed.
I made a 1.5 L starter and placed it in the fridge to cool. After the starter flask was cool to the touch I placed it onto the stir plate and started the whirlpool.
I had left the WLP940 sitting out to warm to room temp which is about 68*. I had it stored in the fridge that I store my kegs. Since I have a pale ale on keg, the fridge is around 40-ish.
Once the pure pitch yeast no longer felt cold, I kneaded the pack to mix contents per instructions. I then pitched to the starter. I pitched in the early evening and really felt I would have a mess to clean this morning.
I have not gotten the results similar to the yeast for the ale. It actually built a Krausen and turned to the color of over milked coffee. This has remained much darker and I never saw a krausen form. Could have while I was sleeping, not sure though. I have removed from the stir plate and placed the starter in the fridge to see if I get yeast separation. I am also attaching a photo for inspection and suggestions. Maybe I am just being paranoid. Hope so, gives me reason to tap on that ale keg! LOL
Mexican Lager Yeast.jpg

My other concern, I made the wort yesterday while I was waiting for the starter. If the starter is dead or bad, it will take several days to get another yeast pack. I have the wort in the fermenter with the airlock in place. How long can I keep the wort in the fermenter?
I apologize for such a lengthy post but I want to be sure I gave you as many facts as possible.

Any comments, suggestions will always be appreciated! Thanks

Compared to ale yeast starters lager starters, even if fermenting at room temperature, are rather "meh". Lager yeasts just have a much slower metabolic rate.

When i took it out of the fridge this morning, I noticed the color was darker than when I put it in the fridge. I put it on the stir plate and started it before I got the gravity.....DUH! Now I have to wait for it to separate again to get the gravity.
I also did not add the yeast nutrient to the starter. I was planning to wait until pitching and then add to fermenter. If I add the nutrient now, will that give it a kick?
Thanks

I took the gravity of the starter and I guess my yeast is dead. The gravity was 1.040. According to BeerSmith it should have been 1.041. Seems that nothing has happened as far as any fermentation of the starter is concerned.

That's pretty normal for WLP940. I like to get my lager starters at room temp, but that yeast has definitely foamed a lot in the past. Looks normal to me.

I see this thread is a few months old, but I'll chime in for posterity. I make a lot of American lagers and Cervesa-ish beers, so I use 840 & 940 a lot. A few observations:

*Lager yeast starters are usually pretty docile compared to most ale yeasts.

*840 and 940 are almost interchangable and hard to tell apart, based on numerous split batches over the years. Buy whatever is the most fresh.

*I almost always check the starter's gravity once the yeast has mostly dropped out, especially if I have concerns about viability. This will save your a** every once in a while

*If the yeast packs are more than 2 months from manufacture date, despite the whole "6 month viability" claim, liquid lager yeasts pretty much worthless. So plan a 2 to 3 step starter ramp-up over several days, especially if you're starting with one pack.

*If you brew a lot of lagers or don't have ready access to a homebrew store, keep a few packs of 34/70 in the fridge as a back up. It'll make a respectable lager out of any wort.

Last edited:
Back