May I have feedback on this WLP002 fermentation program?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi,
I am brewing an english ale with OG 1.060, using WLP002.
I'd like to get good attenuation and based on recommendations I've received on a different thread, I came up with this profile & pitching rate.

Would you mind having a look?

Thanks,

IPA Fermentation.jpg

I really like 002 and I use it a lot. One of its quirks is that if flocculates so hard the flocculation can cause it to quit early. What I always do with great success is warm it up to the low/mid 70sF as soon as activity starts to slow. This yeast works fast, so that can be as little as 24 hours after it starts.

Bottom line is keeping it at a steady temperature like your chart suggests might lead to underattenuation. I'd plan to start warming it up quite a bit on Monday but let the activity be your guide.

ETA: And this yeast floccs so hard you definitely don't need a cold crash. You'll have clear beer and something that looks like foam rubber at the bottom of your fermenter even without cold crash.

I would hold it at 18 for 3-4 days and then let it rise to 22 and hold for 10 days. Then you can cold crash.

I really like 002 and I use it a lot. One of its quirks is that if flocculates so hard the flocculation can cause it to quit early. What I always do with great success is warm it up to the low/mid 70sF as soon as activity starts to slow. This yeast works fast, so that can be as little as 24 hours after it starts.

Bottom line is keeping it at a steady temperature like your chart suggests might lead to underattenuation. I'd plan to start warming it up quite a bit on Monday but let the activity be your guide.

ETA: And this yeast floccs so hard you definitely don't need a cold crash. You'll have clear beer and something that looks like foam rubber at the bottom of your fermenter even without cold crash.

Never used 002 before. The info is great, so thanks for that.

Should I judge if the yeast is slowing down by playing attention to airlock activity or is there a better way? I am fermentin in plastic, cannot see through clearly for signs of the yeast dropping.

Another thing, you mention this yeast works fast... Is the almost three weeks I planed a bit excessive? I will be bottling directly from primary.

As you suggested, will not cold crash.

Thanks again

Yep, that's what I do - just watch the airlock and start warming 'er up once the bubbling slows down. Three weeks is fine - I usually leave my English ales/ESBs that long.

It's a great versatile yeast, even if it does need a little babying/TLC.

Yep, that's what I do - just watch the airlock and start warming 'er up once the bubbling slows down. Three weeks is fine - I usually leave my English ales/ESBs that long.

It's a great versatile yeast, even if it does need a little babying/TLC.

Thanks again.

One more thing, wtf is that thing on your avatar! :D

Badger sculpture in front of the football stadium at the University of Wisconsin.

I adjust my temps based on gravity readings. I start at 62 to 63F and let in free rise to 66 where I hold it until there are 6 to 8 points left. Then I bump it to 68F and let it finish. Usually cold crash by the 8th or 9th day which honestly is out of habit because it's usually crystal clear at that point.

I pitch plenty of healthy 002, often a harvest from my last batch. I have not yet had unattenuation or diacetyl problems from this schedule. I love this yeast!

Latest posts

Back