Preferred kegerator cleaning method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmr9

Reaction score
I plan on taking a short summer break from my brewing pipeline (unless something comes up requiring beer) and I want to give all of my gear a really good deep clean that’s probably a bit overdue. I know PBW for all of my stainless etc but I noticed my kegerator is a bit scuzzy in some spots. Probably from being on nonstop for a good year or so. What are everyone’s preferred methods for cleaning? Starsan and scrubbing? Lysol and scrubbing? Etc etc - very curious for some effective ideas.

Start with PBW, or you could score some lye. Give it a good rinse and then use straight vinegar, then air it out or use a chemical resistant spray bottle of starsan.

The PBW/lye will break down cell walls and clean it thoroughly if you let it soak before scrubbing, make sure its as hot as you can stand it for best results.
The vinegar will kill anything left behind.

It's basically the same thing you'd do to kegs or fermenters, it's just going to be slightly more tedious.

If you mean the interior walls and floor; what is it made of..SS or plastic? Mine's plastic and I often have drips or rings and I just wipe them with a warm damp cloth and try and keep it clean with each keg change.... When I occasionally have a couple empty spaces, which happens once or twice a year, I'll shuffle them around to give it all a Star San spray down, leave it sit a bit and come back and wipe it all down, again with a warm damp cloth. When I had a commercial unit with galvanized interior, I still did the wiping with each keg change, but about every 3-6 months I'd wipe it down with a tiny bit of bleach in warm water and then go over it with hot water and dish-soap followed by thoroughly wiping it dry. Some kegerators have crevices that can start to grow mold... re-seal with silicone after a good sanitizing scrub if you have such crevices.
:mug:

Thanks for the tips! I believe the inside of the kegerator is plastic, the base may be a thin layer of stainless. I should have been paying better attention to some of the areas that have grown a bit of mold. Maybe a combo of good scrubbing with some above methods will do the trick.

Back