Maximizing Dry Hop Aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I dry hop at the end of fermentation and again in keg using a hop tube. I use a lot of hops to try and get that huge hop aroma, and even split the hops into 2 and use 2 hop tubes in the keg. But still I'm not sure I'm getting as much aroma as I should for the amount of hops I'm using. I was thinking of going back to hop bags as a way to get more beer surface area onto the hops, as they tend to get packed down a bit tight in the hop tubes. What's everyone's experience using hop tubes v hop bags for dry hopping?

I would love to find a way to squeeze all that hop goodness out of the hops at the end of dry hopping so it goes into the beer. But a lot of that stays trapped in the hops of the hop tube with no way to squeeze it out. So maybe using bags and squeezing it out with sanitised tongs is an option.

I recently had a lot of luck in the keg with dry hopping and the aroma was insane. I think overall freshness is key, not just focusing on the dry hops. The age old story of reducing oxidation rings true again. I dry hopped with loose pellets -- no bag -- and served straight from the keg without opening it. I think that was key.

I would also recommend CRYO hops as those seem to hold an enormous pack of aroma and flavor without any veggie.

Definitely second that. Also look at adding a larger hop charge at the end of fermentation. Or if you have the capabilities to control fermentation then go ahead and crash to 50F and dry hop there. That helps keep the aroma in the beer as well.

I tried dry hopping commando style in keg once and it all packed down at the bottom of the keg and made transferring out of the dip tube almost impossible. I like the idea of dry hopping with loose pellets, it just didn’t work out when I tried. So I went back to the hop tube.

I did 2 identical hazy IPA’s in a row. One I dry hopped in fermenter at the end of fermentation at 20C, the other I did it at 10C. The beer done at 10C was much nicer with brighter hop aroma and flavour. I double dry hop all my IPA’s at 10C for each step.

I’ve just switched to Lupomax hops and first go I reduced my dry hopping rate. Next time I’ll just go back to how I dry hopped with standard hops and look for my flavour and aroma that way.

I tried dry hopping commando style in keg once and it all packed down at the bottom of the keg and made transferring out of the dip tube almost impossible. I like the idea of dry hopping with loose pellets, it just didn’t work out when I tried. So I went back to the hop tube.

I did 2 identical hazy IPA’s in a row. One I dry hopped in fermenter at the end of fermentation at 20C, the other I did it at 10C. The beer done at 10C was much nicer with brighter hop aroma and flavour. I double dry hop all my IPA’s at 10C for each step.

I’ve just switched to Lupomax hops and first go I reduced my dry hopping rate. Next time I’ll just go back to how I dry hopped with standard hops and look for my flavour and aroma that way.
When dry hopping commando use a floating dip tube to eliminate clogging your standard dip tube. Works like a charm.

You can also do multiple muslin bags. Do like 1 or 2 ounce increments per bag. You just need to have SUPER on point sanitation. Boil the bags for 10 minutes, let them sit in star san, and air dry. Use ethanol based sanitizer for your hands. The level of sanitation I go is probably beyond extra but I would rather go that route if I feel I need to keg hop. I literally just did this two days ago to a hazy ipa that was perfect flavor wise but aroma was lacking. But it becomes a race to get the hops off the beer. So likely by tomorrow I will be canning the rest of the keg to stop any extra oils from bleeding into the beer.

You can also do multiple muslin bags. Do like 1 or 2 ounce increments per bag. You just need to have SUPER on point sanitation. Boil the bags for 10 minutes, let them sit in star san, and air dry.

There's no need to air dry the bags. In fact, if you let them sit and get dry, that's just another opportunity to get contaminated.

Yes, absolutely should clarify. Not air dry as in I walk away and wait for hours until it is purely dry. Merely removed from solution into a sterilized mason jar to transfer hops into.

I put keg hops in the sanitized keg when fermentation starts, use fermentation gas to purge the keg, then closed transfer into the hop-loaded, purged keg when fermentation is done.

IMHO, avoiding oxygen is super important, and while sanitizing matters, the beer may kill most bugs at, say, 6% ABV. That last part could be wishful thinking; I do sanitize any hop bag or canister of course.

I would love to find a way to squeeze all that hop goodness out of the hops at the end of dry hopping so it goes into the beer. But a lot of that stays trapped in the hops of the hop tube with no way to squeeze it out. So maybe using bags and squeezing it out with sanitised tongs is an option.

If you are fermenting old school in a bucket (i.e. no closed transfers or oxigen pickup mitigation) then use hop socks.

Then just before you bottle, reach in with sanitized gloves, grab the sucker and squeeze it like it owes you money.

You will see all the green goodness you would normally be losing oozing out into the beer.

If you taste the beer that same day (as soon as possible) flat straight out of the fermenter or after bottling/kegging you have never tasted any hop aroma Ike it in your life.

Unfortunately it will not last.

Partly due to oxygen and partly due to "mellowing" and reabsorption into the beer it will be all but gone within a day or 2

A Randal is your friend for serving

Ozzy

Back