mash temp location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrainer

BeerCzar I am
Reaction score
Sorry but I've been drinking all night...

I recently built a new boiler and added some couplings to the mash tun while at it... I added a half couling to the mash tun near the dip tube coupling. Using a blichman eng thermo for the first time... Normally I used a wlalymart digital thermo stuck in the top of the mash.

I always thought my beers were thicker than I wanted no matter how close to 147 I dared to get.

OK so today I racked the first fermenter to keg and for some unknown reason I bothered to measure the FG. I often skip this as I primary 2-4 weeks normally. I read 1.008 and expected 1.013. It's a simple APA I do and I normally stop about 1.013 anyhow.

I'm wondering if measuring from the top only is reason to be off or perhaps I have to recheck both probes but they both were tested.

I just can't figure out why my FG is so much lower than normal for the same recipe...

I always thought my beers were thicker than I wanted no matter how close to 147 I dared to get.

This is a pretty big hint... I'm going to guess that the new thermometer is much more accurate. Did you check them against each other at mash temps?

:off:Lost Abbey Devotion would be effing amazing if it didn't have this plasticizer flavor.:cross::cross:

That's probably right these are probably much more accurate than my old probes. One is 6 yrs old.

When I picked up the new probes I did the crushed ice /water and they all read 32.... When introducing them to a boil... they were all fine. In repeating this today I see the digital probe wouldn't go above 173 for 10 minutes but the bi-metal probe was smooth.

So here I've been brewing with a possible bad thermo...

Let the good times roll...

I'm over it :) I just have some drier beer that I expected...

Latest posts

Back