Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, gang. It looks like there was talk of a visitor's guide that never came to be, and the last guy that asked was kinda more interested in bottleshops than I am. Gonna be staying in the Inner Harbor two nights, Feb. 21st + 22nd. We have a couple non-beer destinations on the list already (Lost City Diner and a show at the Lyric). More interested in bars, brewery/taproom tours, or weird beer-related miscellany, and if there's herbivore-friendly food there or nearby, mega bonus. We'll have a car but would prefer to minimize travel, and definitely not interested in going out to the suburbs this trip. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Yeah I suck. Sorry. Were you at the circle jerk for the last gang bang?

Best bottleshop downtown is Wine Source. Still a bit of a drive. There really is nothing else decent in the area. Not much here that you can't get at State Line though.

Best bar is Max's. 110 taps. They also sell marked up bottles. Basically you should spend several hours here.

The brewery to hang out at is Union, and they do mini-tours I believe. Check their website for hours. http://www.unioncraftbrewing.com/

Other decent places in order of my preference: Mahaffey's, Hudson Street Stackhouse (belgian), Alewife (close to where you are staying), Brewer's Art (brewery)

I basically just consume milk, meat, beer, and water, so I can't help you on food. Jack's Bistro is where all the hipsters (don't mean this in a negative way) eat. They probably have what you are looking for.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I am available on 21st.

Hey, gang. It looks like there was talk of a visitor's guide that never came to be, and the last guy that asked was kinda more interested in bottleshops than I am. Gonna be staying in the Inner Harbor two nights, Feb. 21st + 22nd. We have a couple non-beer destinations on the list already (Lost City Diner and a show at the Lyric). More interested in bars, brewery/taproom tours, or weird beer-related miscellany, and if there's herbivore-friendly food there or nearby, mega bonus. We'll have a car but would prefer to minimize travel, and definitely not interested in going out to the suburbs this trip. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

I really liked our visit to Of Love and Regret last year. We drank some crazy weird beers there and the staff working there were great. Plus it's across the street from the old Natty Boh building, which is cool.

Yeah I suck. Sorry. Were you at the circle jerk for the last gang bang?

Best bottleshop downtown is Wine Source. Still a bit of a drive. There really is nothing else decent in the area. Not much here that you can't get at State Line though.

Best bar is Max's. 110 taps. They also sell marked up bottles. Basically you should spend several hours here.

The brewery to hang out at is Union, and they do mini-tours I believe. Check their website for hours. http://www.unioncraftbrewing.com/

Other decent places in order of my preference: Mahaffey's, Hudson Street Stackhouse (belgian), Alewife (close to where you are staying), Brewer's Art (brewery)

I basically just consume milk, meat, beer, and water, so I can't help you on food. Jack's Bistro is where all the hipsters (don't mean this in a negative way) eat. They probably have what you are looking for.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I am available on 21st.
You forgot fancy exotic almonds. You eat a ton of those things.

I really liked our visit to Of Love and Regret last year. We drank some crazy weird beers there and the staff working there were great. Plus it's across the street from the old Natty Boh building, which is cool.
Of Love and Regret used to have better food before the good chef left. Max's carries many stillwater beers already at a lower price. I don't see the need to go to Of Love and Regret unless you really dig stillwater.

Brian is going to hate me forever if he reads this. Zero Fuxx.

This may be obvious but the easiest thing to do once you are in bmore is to check out the local bar checkins on untappd to see what good stuff people are drinking.

Iliketurtles I sadly was not a part of that handjob last round. Crazy good box(es), though. I feel like I should still be thanking you guys.

jakeox It's probably a cool place, but the thought of setting foot inside a place called Of Love And Regret instantly sends me into a post-traumatic Livejournal flashback.

Great info, though, gents. Gonna hit State Line on the way home, so that's why I wasn't really worried about bottleshops. Definitely gonna check out Union. Max's has always intrigued me, but it seems like the kind of place that would always be packed to the rafters, so I dunno if that's gonna be our scene. Dat taplist tho...

Of Love and Regret had some crazy-ass stuff on tap when I was there, but I think we may have visited a day or two after a big event so we might have just gotten all the great leftovers (not just Stillwater stuff but a lot of stuff I've since forgotten ... it's buried somewhere in my untappd account). Agreed that if it's just standard Stillwater offerings it may not be worth the hike.

We had a phenomenal meal at Salt a few years ago ... no idea if the place has held up though.

We had a phenomenal meal at Salt a few years ago ... no idea if the place has held up though.

Salt looks objectively delicious, but maybe not as accommodating to the lady's needs as would be ideal.

How bad of a hipster trap is Johnny Rad's? Or did I already answer my own question?

Iliketurtles I sadly was not a part of that handjob last round. Crazy good box(es), though. I feel like I should still be thanking you guys.

jakeox It's probably a cool place, but the thought of setting foot inside a place called Of Love And Regret instantly sends me into a post-traumatic Livejournal flashback.

Great info, though, gents. Gonna hit State Line on the way home, so that's why I wasn't really worried about bottleshops. Definitely gonna check out Union. Max's has always intrigued me, but it seems like the kind of place that would always be packed to the rafters, so I dunno if that's gonna be our scene. Dat taplist tho...
Not sure when your planning to go but you may be more then fine at Maxs. However it does tend to get crowded with a non-craft beer crowd on Friday and Saturday nights. The place is large enough where you should be fine. Really not a place to miss while you're here.

Not sure when your planning to go but you may be more then fine at Maxs. However it does tend to get crowded with a non-craft beer crowd on Friday and Saturday nights. The place is large enough where you should be fine. Really not a place to miss while you're here.
Double down on this. Would not skip.

Salt looks objectively delicious, but maybe not as accommodating to the lady's needs as would be ideal.

How bad of a hipster trap is Johnny Rad's? Or did I already answer my own question?

If drinking cans of Deviant Dales while watching skate videos and listening to punk rock music with a bunch of twenty something hipsters sounds like something you would enjoy, i'd say Johnny Rad's is a can't miss as well.

So anything exciting beer-wise to look forward too? There is the Stone Soup bottleshare tomorrow (as well as an Iron Hill Sour Beer Release Party). Then, on February 8th there is that bottleshare in VA or the Burley Oak bottle release. The only actual 2014 beers I know about for MD so far is Matt's Burning Rosids from Stone.

Just wanted to let you know about a few deals I found today.

Columbia Alehouse - I went here for the first time for lunch today. I thought the burger was great, fries were just ok. $3 16oz. Dale's Pale Ale drafts until the Olympics are over. The bartender also gave me a Burley Oak glass leftover from last night's pint night.

Fishpaw's - All* bombers are $1 over cost through Sunday. *I think there may be a few exceptions that are a few more dollars over cost. I grabbed a DuClaw Retribution and two Evolution Genus #2's for $11 each. There should be a handful of gems throughout the store. I also noticed they have the 4 standard DC Brau cans in stock, $12/6pk. Not really a deal, but if anyone is still looking for their BCBS or BCBBW fix, they have them both on tap for growler fills. Looks like 32oz only, $23.

Dawson's - If there are no more Genus #2 bottles at Fishpaw's, Dawson's is supposed to have it on tap for growler fills. I have no idea what the price is.

Last edited:
I'm one of the least pretentious people I know when it comes to beer, so I need someone else to back me up on this. Somebody pick up a sixer of The Corruption dated 1/15/14 and tell me what the hell that off-taste is. I can't put my finger on it, but something like a burnt caramel, buttery, hoppy aftertaste.

I had some yesterday dated 1/15/14 (first time trying)and did not like it. Way to sweet(burnt caramel) for what I like in an IPA, plus it had a strange aftertaste I can't describe. I agree with brees.

I noticed the same thing with the six I picked up. I liked it at first, then I picked up the same off taste you are describing. Well that and onions and garlic on the finish.

Can confirm on the Corruption. Bought one can of each DC Brau available. The aftertaste on the corruption had a distinct black peppery taste, it was kind of weird.

Hi guys -- I'm going to visit some friends in Bethesda on St Patty's Day weekend. Any awesome things happening in/around DC that weekend? Anyone know a really great liquor store in the Bethesda area?

Thanks!!

Any of you guys perchance in or right nearby Baltimore? I may have a big favor to ask!

Sorry for not responding for a bit! Have a few cases of glassware I need picked up sometime during the week from Washburn wine distributors on Eastern Ave. I'll be up in Baltimore this weekend to grab it from you and buy whomever a thank-you pint if desired!

Sorry for not responding for a bit! Have a few cases of glassware I need picked up sometime during the week from Washburn wine distributors on Eastern Ave. I'll be up in Baltimore this weekend to grab it from you and buy whomever a thank-you pint if desired!

Do you know their operating hours? I might be able to pick up. I work on b-more but live in Rockville so unless you needed/wanted to drive to b-more, I could shorten your drive.

Huh, I grew up in Laurel, never thought I'd see a brewery 5 minutes from my childhood home.

I just read the 'Our Story' part of their website and I have low expectations now.

"We like drinking beer. My wife took a chemical engineering class once. Let's make beer. Farm to table is popular, let's do that."

They need a new website (already).

I'll go ahead and ask the million dollar question on everyone's minds...does Susan really look like this?

4b4d1c04c2dc063762af1238241fc117.jpg

"We like drinking beer. My wife took a chemical engineering class once. Let's make beer. Farm to table is popular, let's do that."

They need a new website (already).

I'll go ahead and ask the million dollar question on everyone's minds...does Susan really look like this?

4b4d1c04c2dc063762af1238241fc117.jpg
From facebook

936034_247496392094407_1355141847_n.jpg

Back