Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, just today and tomorrow. I leave at the crack of dawn Monday morning, unfortunately!

Well, Max's has some great beer on tap right now. You're probably gonna wanna shoot for stuff that isn't available in your state. Burley Oak makes the best beer in MD, and they currently have 3 on tap (Aboriginal Gangster (year-round IPA), Sour Trip (excellent berliner weisse), and Super Fun Stout (decent oatmeal stout)). They have the Imperial Biscotti Break Natale (super surprised they had this, but I didn't get a lot of cherries, still good though). There are a bunch of great Mikkeller's on tap as well: Lemoncello (collab and probably my favorite on tap, it tastes like they soured an IPA, but it remains quite citrusy and tastes a bit like the name), hot rod habanero, beer hop breakfast, mosaic, rauch geek breakfast, and saphir wet hop.

Well, Max's has some great beer on tap right now. You're probably gonna wanna shoot for stuff that isn't available in your state. Burley Oak makes the best beer in MD, and they currently have 3 on tap (Aboriginal Gangster (year-round IPA), Sour Trip (excellent berliner weisse), and Super Fun Stout (decent oatmeal stout)). They have the Imperial Biscotti Break Natale (super surprised they had this, but I didn't get a lot of cherries, still good though). There are a bunch of great Mikkeller's on tap as well: Lemoncello (collab and probably my favorite on tap, it tastes like they soured an IPA, but it remains quite citrusy and tastes a bit like the name), hot rod habanero, beer hop breakfast, mosaic, rauch geek breakfast, and saphir wet hop.

Really, you think Burley Oak is MD's best? (Genuinely curious, not being an ass.)

I'd vote for Evolution, particularly their Lot. 6 and Rise Up.

Really, you think Burley Oak is MD's best? (Genuinely curious, not being an ass.)

I'd vote for Evolution, particularly their Lot. 6 and Rise Up.

I really do. Their beers all seem to be extremely flavorful and nuanced. I think that they realize how important mouthfeel is (especially with carbonation). They aren't afraid to put out different styles all the time and are constantly trying new things. Sour Trip (there berliner weisse) is phenomenal and they make excellent IPAs. I wasn't a big fan of Lot 6 or Rise Up Stout, but that was before I started writing down my thoughts (reviews) and thus was early on in my introduction to craft beer. Now, if you were to say the best brewery that actually does production bottling, then I would probably say Flying Dog (single hop & brewhouse rarities) or Evolution (better 750s). But at the end of the day, it might be better to say that Burley Oak is my favorite MD brewery, but I will say that they have very few sub-par beers, and even those are usually in styles that I am new to or not a fan of yet. So, yes I believe they are MD's best and their brewery is quaint but a lot of fun (very inviting and fun people).

I really do. Their beers all seem to be extremely flavorful and nuanced. I think that they realize how important mouthfeel is (especially with carbonation). They aren't afraid to put out different styles all the time and are constantly trying new things. Sour Trip (there berliner weisse) is phenomenal and they make excellent IPAs. I wasn't a big fan of Lot 6 or Rise Up Stout, but that was before I started writing down my thoughts (reviews) and thus was early on in my introduction to craft beer. Now, if you were to say the best brewery that actually does production bottling, then I would probably say Flying Dog (single hop & brewhouse rarities) or Evolution (better 750s). But at the end of the day, it might be better to say that Burley Oak is my favorite MD brewery, but I will say that they have very few sub-par beers, and even those are usually in styles that I am new to or not a fan of yet. So, yes I believe they are MD's best and their brewery is quaint but a lot of fun (very inviting and fun people).

Huh. Didn't see that comin.

I'll agree on mouthfeel alone (kinda can't believe we're discussing this :eek: :oops: ;)), but the rest of their stuff falls way short, imo. I would also add that while "quaint," their beer/brewery is a *tad* on the offensive side with Just the Tip, Assawoman, Cougar Juice, Hugs 'n Nugs, and Wanker - not that I offend easily, but found it hard to take my family there to celebrate a recent birthday as I didn't want anyone to feel uncomfortable.

Yes, Flying Dog has a solid single hop series, and they're certainly leading the charge in MD production brewing, but I'd argue that DuClaw has the upper hand as far as 750s are concerned.

Huh. Didn't see that comin.

I'll agree on mouthfeel alone (kinda can't believe we're discussing this :eek: :oops: ;)), but the rest of their stuff falls way short, imo. I would also add that while "quaint," their beer/brewery is a *tad* on the offensive side with Just the Tip, Assawoman, Cougar Juice, Hugs 'n Nugs, and Wanker - not that I offend easily, but found it hard to take my family there to celebrate a recent birthday as I didn't want anyone to feel uncomfortable.

Yes, Flying Dog has a solid single hop series, and they're certainly leading the charge in MD production brewing, but I'd argue that DuClaw has the upper hand as far as 750s are concerned.

I would say that I am definitely a bit biased here seeing as they are the second brewery out of two I have visited so far (the first being DFH and it was all on the same OC trip). I do go into drinking their beers being very excited, but I haven't enjoyed everything they have put out. I agree with the name of their beers, but I am a guy and at times I can forget about how it comes across (I've only heard of/seen/had Just the Tip though). I guess I have a tendency to either ignore the names and focus on the beer or just accept it as tongue in cheek. I've talked to Bryan the head brewer a few times just at Max's and during the tour and found him to be a really nice guy and quite humble. That might just be their humor, but it's not really mine. I feel that some breweries do utilize outlandish/sex/drug names to sell their beer (most readily seen in MD while browsing, when you overhear people laughing at the name Sweet Baby Jesus, and then saying they gotta try it). Finally, I haven't really found a DuClaw beer that I've liked outside of Colossus and Chai Tea Retribution (but I'd only had them once at the 2013 MD Craft Beer Fest). But I haven't had a lot of their stuff. I will in time though. Whereas with Evo, I've had most of their 750s and enjoyed them.

I'd place Evolution and Brewer's Art way above both DuClaw and Burley Oak. Particularly because DuClaw and Burley Oak seem to have a major disconnect between beer quality and pricing, IMO.

Anybody have a price on Retribution? Cindy's has a few bottles but no price tag, and I always forget to ask someone.

Variants seem to go for roughly $25, so curious about the regular. If it's more than $12-$15 then it better be life changing, or F that noise, especially with BCBS hitting shelves soon.

Agreed. I was lucky enough to try this year's regular on draft, but I'm certainly not interested enough in Pumpkin to drop that kind of money on it
Seriously. Not sure wtf the folks at DuClaw are thinking with pricing like that. When a 4-pack of BCBS is $24-$26, bombers of BCBCS last year were $18, and Parabola and Sucaba were around $18, I can't think of any reason Retribution is priced that high.

I've seen regular Retribution go for under $12 (or at the most $15). It is fine, but there are much better stouts for that money. They seem to add on about $10 for any of the variants. Pumpkin Retribution is not worth the price at all, but I got to try it on tap. It is literally just Retribution with pumpkin spice in it, and at $26 is the most expensive "pumpkin beer" that I know of. I haven't had any of the other bottled variants, but they did have a Creme De Menthe cask during BBW; however, I had plans that night.

I'd place Evolution and Brewer's Art way above both DuClaw and Burley Oak. Particularly because DuClaw and Burley Oak seem to have a major disconnect between beer quality and pricing, IMO.

I'm assuming you mean the few bottles that Burley Oak puts out. They have only put out 5 beers (BBA Bunker-C (no idea on pricing, since that was like a year before I knew about them), 2x Lower Class Barleywine ($17 at the brewery for the second one), BC Rude Boy (cheapest yet, $12?) and SummaRye (I got on sale for $15 at Fishpaws)). I can't comment on the taste for any of them because I have yet to open any of them, but Rude Boy is quite good normally. They are expensive, but they are also quite limited with each one easily being <1000 bottles. Obviously, there are smaller bottle releases out there but this is MD only. Give them time to grow and they are already starting a sour program with a lot of barrels. They are not as bad as DuClaw, but for them you can find some of the stuff for decent prices depending on the store. Brewer's Art has the best prices on 750s and Evolution is right behind them. Too bad Flying Dog doesn't really put out any great 750s with any consistency (the Brewhouse Rarities series is hit or miss, and they never seem to bottle the good ones IMO), but the BA Gonzo is good.

Well, I was generally speaking about the pricing of the bottles, but their tasting room prices have increased, and the quality of the beer has not increased commensurately, IMO. I still visit regularly but I'm certainly not going to cosign a statement enshrining them as MDs best brewery.

Anybody have a price on Retribution? Cindy's has a few bottles but no price tag, and I always forget to ask someone.

Variants seem to go for roughly $25, so curious about the regular. If it's more than $12-$15 then it better be life changing, or F that noise, especially with BCBS hitting shelves soon.
Cindy's price for the regular is $15. Those are last year's bottles also. I don't think they got this year's in yet.

Cindy's price for the regular is $15. Those are last year's bottles also. I don't think they got this year's in yet.
Thanks! A little tougher decision now, but I'll probably still pass. A lot of really good beers priced at our below that.

Anybody have any info on when BCBS will land? I heard mid-December, but that was just a guess. The person who I spoke to said the GI rep seemed to be less than open.

Anybody have any info on when BCBS will land? I heard mid-December, but that was just a guess. The person who I spoke to said the GI rep seemed to be less than open.
I called a number of stores on Wednesday. Most seemed to believe they would get the drop early next week.

Well Pinehurst Wine Shoppe got a case of regular BCBS Wednesday that is on sale today. One bottle limit. They also have 32oz growlers of BCBBW available. One growler limit. It will probably be gone by the end of the day. I don't know of any other stores that have it yet. Not exactly sure why Pinehurst has it and no one else.

Let's keep this page updated for BCBS. Thanks.

Well Pinehurst Wine Shoppe got a case of regular BCBS Wednesday that is on sale today. One bottle limit. They also have 32oz growlers of BCBBW available. One growler limit. It will probably be gone by the end of the day. I don't know of any other stores that have it yet. Not exactly sure why Pinehurst has it and no one else.

Let's keep this page updated for BCBS. Thanks.
Do you know prices, Pat?

Just bought the last bottle from Pinehurst. They were 5.99. I was only the second growler fill of bcbbw. That's 17.99 plus the glass.

I suppose that made me the first growler fill of the day. Took a ride out on my lunch break and got a fill. ;)

Can't wait to get out of work and dig into that growler!

Beltway also had BCBS and Barleywine yesterday. They had a 1 4-pack limit on each and you had to ask the beer guy to get it from the back. I'm not sure how just a few stores were able to get cases for yesterday. Most of the other places seem to not know (or are playing dumb) when their allocations will come in. Most say next week sometime.

Cindy's, Wells, and Honeygo all got BCBS in today. I picked upy one 4-pack limit at Cindy's on the way home for $24.99. Keeping an eye out for variants. But nothing new so far.

Old line in Beltsville has bw, coffee and reg for 8$ a bottle. All yours, guys!

Last edited:
Since the BA thread has turned to complete ****, let's keep this updated.
Cindy's had 1 4-pack left last night of BCBS and that is probably gone. PP just got their shipment in yesterday of only regular and Barleywine. Selling regular for $25+ for a 4 and only singles of BW for $10ish each, IIRC.

Cindy's had 1 4-pack left last night of BCBS and that is probably gone. PP just got their shipment in yesterday of only regular and Barleywine. Selling regular for $25+ for a 4 and only singles of BW for $10ish each, IIRC.

Wow. Not surprising though. I was surprised to learn that Beltway had been selling the BW for $19 and BCBS for the regular $22.

Had a backyard rye on Saturday. Better than Bramble in my book, but still weak compared to coffee & vanilla.

Anyone know of any spots with coffee or barleywine hanging around? :rolleyes:

Rumor has it that PP will have it this week. Next at the latest. If they get it, everyone else should get it about the same time.

Was there today and didn't see it. Not surprised by the price though.

All I know is I hate Goose Island for making this so ****ing difficult. I was just supposed to be able to drive around on Black Friday and collect all my Bourbon County goodness. Now I may need to leave work multiple times to secure a few bottles.

All I know is I hate Goose Island for making this so ****ing difficult. I was just supposed to be able to drive around on Black Friday and collect all my Bourbon County goodness. Now I may need to leave work multiple times to secure a few bottles.
Shouldn't you be in VT for the Port Damon release? ;)

Hey, gang. It looks like there was talk of a visitor's guide that never came to be, and the last guy that asked was kinda more interested in bottleshops than I am. Gonna be staying in the Inner Harbor two nights, Feb. 21st + 22nd. We have a couple non-beer destinations on the list already (Lost City Diner and a show at the Lyric). More interested in bars, brewery/taproom tours, or weird beer-related miscellany, and if there's herbivore-friendly food there or nearby, mega bonus. We'll have a car but would prefer to minimize travel, and definitely not interested in going out to the suburbs this trip. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back