Mango mead - Fisrt/secundary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melite

Reaction score
I want to make some simple mango mead and i have a little question.
Ok so im new on homebrewing, this is gonna be my second batch ever. I want a mango mead, i've been reading some things, and cant decide/ i dont know if it is a good idea to put a little more mango on my mead after primary fermentation, i want the mango to be the main flavour on this.
What should i do? just one fermentation, or i add more mango on secundary fermentation?

If you want mango (or any fruit) to be your primary flavor then fruit in both primary and secondary. Primary if a vigorous ferment can often blow out a bunch of flavor through the airlock.

I haven't done mango, but I would lean towards both primary and secondary. The primary will eat through the sugars and sweetness but will likely impart a character that you won't get with secondary only.

The adding in secondary, after stabilizing, will add the direct fruit flavor and some sweetness. How much to add and how long to leave it is dependent on the fruit itself. When I do strawberries, I only add in secondary and I use ~ 2Lb per gallon and leave for 10-14 days. That is about how long it takes to extract just about everything from the fruit and leave it white.

I want to make some simple mango mead and i have a little question.
Ok so im new on homebrewing, this is gonna be my second batch ever. I want a mango mead, i've been reading some things, and cant decide/ i dont know if it is a good idea to put a little more mango on my mead after primary fermentation, i want the mango to be the main flavour on this.
What should i do? just one fermentation, or i add more mango on secundary fermentation?
Lol, first off I never knew my first re-rack was actually called secondary-fermentation. I always re-racked after my fermentation period to start killing off my yeast.

I use fruit in my two recipes, during fermentation (primary) and the fruit flavor is prominent even after all my filtering techniques. I would suggest using 3-4 mangos or more with a 3 gallon carboy to drive home a mango flavor.

Back