malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
My local homebrew store is only open 2 days a weeks so I can't ask the owner this question today. I bought some malt extract off him. He has it in large containers and I got 6lbs off him in a bucket with a good sealing lid. how long will this extract last in this bucket or do you need to use it right away? I am not sure if this will go bad on me. Thanks for any advice/help.

It sounds like it would last quite a while- it may darken and cause some "twang" if it loses some freshness but probably not for at least a couple of months if you kept it cool. Can you store it in the basement, or in the fridge? (the coolness will cause it to thicken some, but all you have to do then is stick the container in some warm water when you go to use it)

I think it was David_42 who mentioned ages ago that you can use some of it, and then pour some cheap vodka over the top of the remaining extract and store it in the fridge. It would probably be best to confirm that with someone else, though, because my memory is not always 100% reliable.

The questions is, how long do you plan on holding this extract until you use it??

Malt extract generally will last a month or so but best stored cool, dry and sealed. The solids level in extract makes it very difficult for microbes to grow in it. However, if you get any moisture in it to dilute the solids level, things start to grow quickly. The most common problem is water condenses on the inside of the lid, a drop falls into the extract causing an isolated area of diluted extract and you see bacteria and mold growth. The other thing is mold grows easily on the inside of the lid due to condensed water and small amounts of extract on the lid or closure areas. I would recommend that you use the extract within a month when purchased from a bulk container as you described to be safe.

Dr Malt :mug:

yeah i purchased it a week ago but plan on using this on sunday so from what you two are saying I should be ok. it has been store in my basement and it is cool down there and dry. thanks guys

Malt syrup and dry malt extract

Dry malt extract should be stored just like grains. As long as the DME is dry and sealed from oxygen, you can buy in bulk, and use it for up to about 1 year. This assumes you keep it away from sunlight and maintain the temperature between 50¡ and 70¡ F.

Liquid malt syrup is easy to store as long as it is in the original can. This is an ideal container that keeps the syrup safe from light and oxygen, and the malt is good for about two years before it starts to degrade. The manufacturer has normally also heated the syrup to pasteurize it before shipping, so it is void of bacteria, molds and yeast. Most cans have an expiration date that helps you know when it is getting old. The same temperature range (50¡ to 70¡ F) applies.

Liquid malt syrup that has been opened, or is sold in bulk plastic containers, has a much shorter shelf life. While buying malt syrup in this form is normally less expensive, it must be used in less than 3 months, or the syrup will degrade or even grow mold. If you have malt syrup in this form, the best way to store it is in the fridge. Pick the smallest possible container to eliminate airspace and avoid oxidation. While the extremely high sugar content inhibits yeast activity and molding, over a three- to four-month time period the syrup will lose its freshness.

I sell bulk malt syrup in my store, where we pour the syrup from the drum into plastic buckets. We use nitrogen to push the syrup out of the drum to prevent oxidation of the malt inside the drum, but once the syrup is in the plastic bucket it has about a three-month shelf life before it needs to be used. If you buy bulk syrup, store it in a cool location, and use in less that six weeks. If you brew on an irregular basis, I would definitely suggest buying malt syrup in the cans packed and sealed by the manufacturer.

Back