Making store bought fruit juice Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brews-n-Blues

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm making a fruit Wine from store-bought 100% fruit juice.
It's Mango & Pineapple.
There's no preservatives in the juice.
Just juice, bruised raisins and Lalvin EC1118 Yeast.
I took a OG reading and it was 1.087.
It's been in the Fermenter for 1 week.
I have the Fermenter set to 70°F.
I just raised it to 71°F yesterday, after I noticed the bubbling slowed down.
I read that this should sit in the Fermentor for at least 3 weeks,
then bottle finish, for at least 2 more?
Is this accurate?
It's still bubbling, but slowely.
I agitated the must twice a day for about 4 or 5 days to degass.
Should I agitate it anymore since the bubbling has slowed down?
Also, when should I take another reading?
And I heard from my local Brew supply shop, that with a small batch like this (2.5 gal), It's OK to return the reading sample back to the Fermentor,
if I sanitize everything that touches the Wine?
Any thoughts on this advice?
Cheers to Home Brewing and Homemade Wine!
🍺😎🍷

No, don’t stir it anymore. When you get lees (sediment) 1/4“ thick or so, rack (siphon) into a new vessel and let it sit until totally clear (like read a newspaper through it clear) and rack again if/when you get lees 1/4” thick or after 60 days if there are any lees. That’s about it.

Just curious about the your advice on when to rack? It's been in the Fermenter for 10 days. So, the lees is probably about 2 inches thick on the bottom.
Are you saying that this will slowing get to 1/4" or I should rack now because It's well over 1/4"?
Just checking?

Usually when a must slows down in the airlock there is still some rs still present, racking then can keep some of the sugar through the rest of the process, even though there is still some hungry yeast present you have removed the majority of the cork poppers. Still time is the dominant factor in a good finished product.

Back