Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers to naggy for starting this thread!
20191004_165658.jpeg

I have to admit, I have recently come across some less than stellar hazy beers. Some even approaching higher prices. That one there ghost in the machine is stellar. It was 12 for a ten oz pour. This place has 120 taps and here they were. Surely something you would like. And yes they sample some, and yes I google every one i consider. At 12 for ten oz I dont eff around. Just noticed no descriptions.
Screenshot_20191004-191658_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Screenshot_20191004-190644_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
20191004_164612.jpeg
20191004_164605.jpeg

I have to admit, I have recently come across some less than stellar hazy beers. Some even approaching higher prices. That one there ghost in the machine is stellar. It was 12 for a ten oz pour. This place has 120 taps and here they were. Surely something you would like. And yes they sample some, and yes I google every one i consider. At 12 for ten oz I dont eff around. Just noticed no descriptions. View attachment 646969View attachment 646970View attachment 646971View attachment 646972

I love Ghost. Wish I could find a recipe for it. Parish brewing is about 5 miles from my house.

Super good. Excellent. Haha, I had a maine lunch for first time after that (a clearish ipa) and was like meh. Probably was good but after ghost, it was average. Try the julius recipe from drgmg (sp?l). I think theres a massive amount of hops in there. Mostly citra I am guessing. Get around 12 oz of hops in there and you are on your way.
I love Ghost. Wish I could find a recipe for it. Parish brewing is about 5 miles from my house.

It is SO godamn hard to find good clear IPAs in New Jersey now.
*sigh*

Wow, they're all over the place here. Walk into the grocery store and there are literally 60 different clear IPAs on the shelf. Same with the bars...about a 50/50 mix of clear and hazy.

I always ask about what I'm ordering and, if they don't know, I go to the bar and ask the bartender. If he/she doesn't know, I ask for a sample. I find it fun to interact with people and I've been turned on to some really good beers chatting with the staff (when they're knowledgeable...it's not hard to tell if they know what they're talking about).

I'm 56 years old...I do things old school I guess with respect to problem solving. I don't mind interacting with people and I don't mind getting off my ass to get something done. Life's to short to sit back and be passive.

Try being a fan of Mild.

Albeit there are two types of milds, one is very hard to find, if it exists any more on a commercial level. How many types of IPA's are there? So many that the original English IPA is not in the BJCP's IPA category. I would just like to know what type of IPA is being offered. I have even had this problem at breweries.

At least there is something in there. As opposed to the flavorless meh cheap beers opined about here. Make ipa meh again might be better said.
Why bother with oat flour? You could just throw some regular flour in there. It's not about the flavor anyway, it's about making it CLOUDY!

Shouldnt be that hard, just ask for the worst tasting, flavorless ipa. It will absolutely be clear. What ever you do dont ask for something bold, flavorful, effervescent, bright boquet, hoppy, or pungent, because that will certainly be hazy.

Shouldnt be that hard, just ask for the worst tasting, flavorless ipa. It will absolutely be clear. What ever you do dont ask for something bold, flavorful, effervescent, bright boquet, hoppy, or pungent, because that will certainly be hazy.

You can have whatever you want in your beer. Just don't call it an IPA if it's not.

Sounds like there are no good tasting west coast IPA’s in your area. Don’t give up on the search, there are plenty of good ones out there! [emoji482]

From that link...
Water discolouration
If your water looks milky or cloudy this can be caused by changes on our network such as bursts or emergency repair work. When there's a
burst, millions of tiny air bubbles enter your water supply, which makes it look milky or cloudy in appearance...

I believe in beer we call that carbonation.

And this...
If it doesn't improve or has been going on for a little while just get in touch and we can help.

Interesting that they think it is a problem that should be fixed. Go figure.

And finally this...
If you've got a water meter, you're entitled to a rebate for running the water through. To request this, contact us and we'll add it to your billing account.

So, we should all get a rebate when we try to run cloudy stuff through our system? :p

From that link...
Water discolouration
If your water looks milky or cloudy this can be caused by changes on our network such as bursts or emergency repair work. When there's a
burst, millions of tiny air bubbles enter your water supply, which makes it look milky or cloudy in appearance...

I believe in beer we call that carbonation.

And this...
If it doesn't improve or has been going on for a little while just get in touch and we can help.

Interesting that they think it is a problem that should be fixed. Go figure.

And finally this...
If you've got a water meter, you're entitled to a rebate for running the water through. To request this, contact us and we'll add it to your billing account.

So, we should all get a rebate when we try to run cloudy stuff through our system? :p

I added 8oz of gypsum to my soft water last week when I was making a English Strong Ale and it got a little cloudy. I didn't think anything of it though. Cloudy is ok if it's hot liquor....

Supposedly according to Charlie Papazian's good book he says beers brewed with high calcium content will clear better. Why not try it since I have a big bottle of gypsum.

I made some Hard Water (like a hydromel) where I added gypsum. It was very clear and think it was about 4.5% ABV.

https://plumbingtoday.biz/blog/why-is-my-faucet-water-cloudy

https://indysoftwater.com/2016/02/12/why-is-my-water-cloudy/

Last edited:
you guys are putting "hazy" and "new england" together as the same thing. They are not the same. The New England fad started out (i believe) by Alchemist and the like using Conan yeast and heavy dry hopping combined with not filtering. result was heady topper and the like.
Trillium, treehouse, other half, and all the NJ breweries i see churning out 2 or 3 new NEIPAs per week are doing the whole "heavily oated and wheated" thing along with big late and multiple dry hoppings. many of these are good. some are bad. they are all very similiar.
I dont think anybody could genuinely tell the difference between ANY variety of trillium NE DIPAs.
These are the beers that I'm over. they have the look and mouthfeel of porridge.
I don't want NEIPAs gone (to each their own) i just want a resurgence of bitter, clear, piney, citrusy, vibrant, crisp West Coast IPAs.
I'm going to SanDiego next week for a week and plan to bathe in classic West Coast IPAs and to mail some home.

Wow, they're all over the place here. Walk into the grocery store and there are literally 60 different clear IPAs on the shelf. Same with the bars...about a 50/50 mix of clear and hazy.

I always ask about what I'm ordering and, if they don't know, I go to the bar and ask the bartender. If he/she doesn't know, I ask for a sample. I find it fun to interact with people and I've been turned on to some really good beers chatting with the staff (when they're knowledgeable...it's not hard to tell if they know what they're talking about).

I'm 56 years old...I do things old school I guess with respect to problem solving. I don't mind interacting with people and I don't mind getting off my ass to get something done. Life's to short to sit back and be passive.
I bartend at a beer and shot place AND a restaurant heavy on craft beer. We try and keep the list as jersey centric as we can. (in NJ most craft breweries self distribute. Relationships with these breweries is the only thing that can help differentiate between other bars. otherwise everybody has the same options from the distributors)
I love talking beer with people at work.
I was at a restaurant with my family over the summer and i wanted to ask the waiter something about a beer, but i was skeptical he "knew" beer. I asked him, "not trying to be rude here, but do you "know" beer?"
it turned out he did. knew more than me even and we knew a lot of the same people. My wife and I had a good conversation and we let him pick us a round and were NOT let down. this usually only happens to us with a good bartender.

At least there is something in there. As opposed to the flavorless meh cheap beers opined about here. Make ipa meh again might be better said.
C'mon man, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't be ridiculoous.
Look at the ingredient list of a good West Coast IPA- it's not cheap by any means and it's certainly not flavorless.
And "meh"? everyone likes different stuff, man, but you can hardly call West Coast IPAs meh.
Are NEIPAs the only style you like?
I enjoy almost all styles of beer tbh, just depends on my mood. (yes, including NEIPA hazy bois)

I don't want NEIPAs gone (to each their own) i just want a resurgence of bitter, clear, piney, citrusy, vibrant, crisp West Coast IPAs.
I'm going to SanDiego next week for a week and plan to bathe in classic West Coast IPAs and to mail some home.

Exactly. I don't want NEIPA to go away. If people like drinking them, then good for them. Most people in the world truly don't like bitterness as a flavor. We're attuned to sweetness as a rule. If you think about it from an evolutionary biology standpoint, sweet things had more sugar [obviously], so they were more often than not going to be higher calories per unit volume than something bitter. If you didn't know when your next meal would show up, sweetness was a signal that you were getting more sustenance.

But I love bitterness. I drink coffee black. I can barely eat milk chocolate, but those 85% cacao dark chocolate bars taste like perfection to me. I like kale and all the other bitter leafy green vegetables. This might be TMI, but I actually enjoy eating orange peel, and that's bitter af...

I don't drink a lot of imperial stouts, barleywines, etc. They're usually too sweet for me. Nothing against the people that love them--I'm not saying they're bad. I'm just saying that they don't really do it for me.

So this trend towards only late hopping, trying to get all the hop flavors and aroma and a tiny portion of the bitterness? I mean, I do like some of those beers. After all, they still have some bitterness to offset the sweetness. They're just not my favorite style of IPA.

But a well-made West Coast IPA, with a clean and crisp malt bill, a nice big hop aroma, and a crushing bitterness in the 60-90 IBU range? I'll take that all day long.

you guys are putting "hazy" and "new england" together as the same thing. They are not the same. The New England fad started out (i believe) by Alchemist and the like using Conan yeast and heavy dry hopping combined with not filtering. result was heady topper and the like.
Trillium, treehouse, other half, and all the NJ breweries i see churning out 2 or 3 new NEIPAs per week are doing the whole "heavily oated and wheated" thing along with big late and multiple dry hoppings. many of these are good. some are bad. they are all very similiar.
I dont think anybody could genuinely tell the difference between ANY variety of trillium NE DIPAs.
I think you're wrong there. While Trillium and Treehouse, etc. are brewing hazier beers with oats, wheat, etc., they're still NEIPAs. While Headytopper isn't and never was called NEIPA, it's the first one brewed commercially and the one beers that inspired this whole thing, in my opinion. They were ashamed at the haziness because of the dry hop haze not dropping out. That's the reason they say "drink from the can" on the packaging.

Either way, I don't see NEIPAs going away like black IPAs did. But I'd like to see the market balance itself out again and see more clear IPAs coming back.

As I have stated before, I'm ok with NEIPA. I'm not for IPAs and other beers being passed off as ok to be cloudy.

Then the line up is mostly cloudy stuff. That's not ok unless all you sell are hefeweizen and NEIPA.

This is a san diego classic!

These are the beers that I'm over. they have the look and mouthfeel of porridge.

Screenshot_20191014-210804_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

...Most people in the world truly don't like bitterness as a flavor. We're attuned to sweetness as a rule. If you think about it from an evolutionary biology standpoint, sweet things had more sugar [obviously], so they were more often than not going to be higher calories per unit volume than something bitter...

I'm also a black coffee / dark chocolate guy. I like sweet and bitter up to a point -- preferably balanced in a nice hefty brew with floral aromas.

Speaking of our biology and sweet/bitter: bitterness alerts critters to possible toxicity, and people genetically vary in our response to bitterness. Some folks think that bitterness sensitivity may correlate with our disgust responses, which in turn may have social and political implications (see The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt). Perhaps the rise of less-bitter IPA will help the beer world to reduce social polarization, as we drink various IPAs side by side. Probably just a pipe dream... Cheers.

Exactly. I don't want NEIPA to go away. If people like drinking them, then good for them. Most people in the world truly don't like bitterness as a flavor. We're attuned to sweetness as a rule. If you think about it from an evolutionary biology standpoint, sweet things had more sugar [obviously], so they were more often than not going to be higher calories per unit volume than something bitter. If you didn't know when your next meal would show up, sweetness was a signal that you were getting more sustenance.

But I love bitterness. I drink coffee black. I can barely eat milk chocolate, but those 85% cacao dark chocolate bars taste like perfection to me. I like kale and all the other bitter leafy green vegetables. This might be TMI, but I actually enjoy eating orange peel, and that's bitter af...

I don't drink a lot of imperial stouts, barleywines, etc. They're usually too sweet for me. Nothing against the people that love them--I'm not saying they're bad. I'm just saying that they don't really do it for me.

So this trend towards only late hopping, trying to get all the hop flavors and aroma and a tiny portion of the bitterness? I mean, I do like some of those beers. After all, they still have some bitterness to offset the sweetness. They're just not my favorite style of IPA.

But a well-made West Coast IPA, with a clean and crisp malt bill, a nice big hop aroma, and a crushing bitterness in the 60-90 IBU range? I'll take that all day long.
I'm with you on the black coffee and all the foods listed.
people who put anything in their coffee are nuts imo. if you have to put milk and sugar in coffee to suck it down, maybe you don't like coffee? try tea or something, ya weirdos

Speaking of our biology and sweet/bitter: bitterness alerts critters to possible toxicity, and people genetically vary in our response to bitterness. Some folks think that bitterness sensitivity may correlate with our disgust responses, which in turn may have social and political implications (see The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt). Perhaps the rise of less-bitter IPA will help the beer world to reduce social polarization, as we drink various IPAs side by side. Probably just a pipe dream... Cheers.

I hadn't heard of correlation of bitterness sensitivity to disgust response, but I was aware of the correlation between disgust response and political affiliation.

I'd be interested in whether you've got more info on that. I.e. I just googled and found this article which suggests that peoples' physical reactions to bitterness (or overly salty or sour) and to things that are morally disgusting are similar. I.e. the faces that people make, the muscles that are involved, etc.

However it didn't suggest that people with less bitterness (or salty / sour) sensitivity are also less sensitive to moral disgust.

That said, I agree with you that if we all drink enough IPA, bitter or not, side by side, maybe we'll stop caring about social polarization.

Or as the master poet of our time asked... (Not directed at you personally.)

Latest posts

Back