Make 1 starter for 2 batches of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtonfb

Reaction score
Just starting to getting into Yeast starting. I have 2 different beers brewing and I want to use the same yeast on them. I also only have 1 stir plate. How would I make a yeast starter big enough for both the batches?

Depends on the original gravity of the beer, and what size flask do you have? You can make multi-stage starters and use an online yeast calculator tool to buildup to the correct pitching rate / yeast cells.

Depends on the original gravity of the beer, and what size flask do you have? You can make multi-stage starters and use an online yeast calculator tool to buildup to the correct pitching rate / yeast cells.

Ive got 1000ml flask (actually 2 but only 1 stir plate). Both beers OG are in the 1.05x range.

you dont NEED a stirplate for a starter. Make 2 1L starters, use the stirplate for the one you are going to pitch first. Just periodically shake the other. I dont use stirplates for 90% of my starters

you dont NEED a stirplate for a starter. Make 2 1L starters, use the stirplate for the one you are going to pitch first. Just periodically shake the other. I dont use stirplates for 90% of my starters

yup! 1 gallon milk jugs also work just fine for starters (and small beer test batches)! Note that they are made of HDPE, the same as fermentation buckets. you get slightly less yeast by volume because of no stirring, but you have a 3.8 L of space instead of 1 or 2L.

This calculator is what I use: http://www.yeastcalculator.com/

You could definitely make a starter big enough for both batches.

Hmm. First time using starter and this calculator. Dont really know what im looking for.
Both batches are 6.5 gallons so 13 gallons total. According to this I need 492 yeast cells which comes out to be 2.5 Liters of starter. If i only have 1000ml flask how would i do that?

Thanks!

Hmm. First time using starter and this calculator. Dont really know what im looking for.
Both batches are 6.5 gallons so 13 gallons total. According to this I need 492 yeast cells which comes out to be 2.5 Liters of starter. If i only have 1000ml flask how would i do that?

You do a stepped starter. Make one starter which will produce x amount of cells. The chill it overnight, decant the liquid and add another starter and let it ferment. (18-24 hours on a stirplate) You will get a little less cell growth in the second step, do a third step if necessary.

Each step is in the next section down. In the aeration method click the arrow, I use K. Troesters scale. Each step will calculate a continuation of the step before. Play with the size of each step until you end up with the proper amount of yeast. Total cells at finished will turn to green.

You can use the starter for onw 24 hrs then the other flask for the other 24 hrs... cool and decant. The yeast will be fine after propogation in the fridge

I brew two batches of high gravity lager about twice a year, so I have experience stepping up a single smack pack or vial of yeast for both batches.

I use a stir plate, a one-gallon pickle jar, and a couple of Mason jars. The following process takes about a week, so plan ahead.

So here's how my most recent double-brew yeast preparation went. Both recipes (Maibock & Vienna Lager) were scaled for 5.5 gallons with an OG of 1.070. Homebrew Dad's online yeast calculator tells me I need a total of 533 billion yeast cells for 5.5 gallons of 1.070 beer, so now I know where I need to finish at.

Step 1: Make a 3 liter starter at 1.037 on a stir plate. Add the contents of your smack pack or vial. The yeast are usually done about 24 hours later. This gets me to 521 billion yeast cells.

Step 2: Cold crash the pickle jar for 24 hours.

Step 3: Pour off nearly all the beer. Then swirl until all of the yeast cake has been loosened from the bottom of the pickle jar. Pour this off into two mason jars. Put one of the mason jars in the refrigerator.

Step 4: Make another 3 liter starter at 1.037 on a stir plate. Add the contents of your mason jar. The yeast are usually done about 24 hours later. This gets me to 667 billion yeast cells in the pickle jar.

Step 5: Cold crash the pickle jar for 24 hours.

Step 6: Pour off nearly all the beer. Then swirl until all of the yeast cake has been loosened from the bottom of the pickle jar. Pour this off into a mason jars. Put the mason jar in the refrigerator.

Repeat steps 4, 5, and 6 for the second Mason jar from step 3, and you'll end up with two Mason jars with 667 billion yeast cells each, more than enough for my lager recipes.

Latest posts

Back