Lutra kveik with Propper seltzer stuck ferm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy_brus

Reaction score
Tried out my first seltzer brew over the weekend. 5lbs of dextrose into 5 gal of distilled water at 180f and boiled for 10 minutes in grainfather. Added Propper seltzer nutrient pack after boil and chilled to 65f and pitched full pouch of omega lutra yeast (pouch was dated about a month old and was not expanded). OG was 1.042 and fermenting in a 7.75 gal sanke keg with an ink bird controller and heat wrap at 84f. Its been three days with out much activity and just took a gravity sample it’s still at 1.040.

What did I do wrong? And what can I do now to fix it?
Turn up the heat? Just pitch more yeast?

(Also I added a pinch of gypsum, calcium chloride, and 3ml of lactic acid to distilled water at beginning. I hope that’s not what caused my issues.)

Update:
9 days after pitch starting to show signs of activity. 1.030 yesterday and now at 1.022 tonight. Smells and taste strong of green apple. Hopefully just acetaldehyde and will clear up as ferm continues.
Thinking my issue might have been the yeast freezing in transit. Causing very low viability.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Intresting. I made the same Lutra recipe yesterday. Not a single bit of activiy yet. Its only been 24 hours but I thought this yeast would be off like a shot! Recipe states pitching at 85*

I recently tried to make a Lutra Kveik Seltzer. It started off good nothing crazy as far as fermentation speed but it was moving. started at a 1.050 gravity using 5lbs of corn sugar, 20g of nutrien, and 8 g of energizer. It's been 7 days now and fermentation has seemed to have halted gravity is reading 1.022. I have used a heated blanket to keep it at a consistent 95 degrees

im going to try pitching in some more yeast tomorrow and see if that helps.

My active fermentation started around 36 hours. Im keeping the temp around 80-85. I will take a gravity in just a day or so. It said it should finish at 1.000. We will see.

SO I guess ferm was just a bit slow. On day 9 I pulled a sample. Hit my FG perfect and the taste was great. A tiny bit sweet but very clean with 0 off flavors. I am cold crashing now so we will see how clear it gets before kegging with flavor extract.

Flavor was really like clean water with some sweetness. I didn't pick up much alcohol flavors. When adding flavoring extract it covers 100% of any noticeable alcohol. The sweetness does come through though after flavoring. I think it also needs some acid. Commercial seltzers seem somewhat acidic to me. I did use the Propper nutrient also. E

I just made 4 gallons of seltzer with Lutra and the Omega Proper Yeast nutrient for seltzer’s. Fermentation took 2 weeks and was crazy slow. My OG was 1.038, I pitched at 95 and maintained 90 the whole time. I haven’t a carbonated it yet but it’s crystal clear and tastes like watered down white wine. FG was .996

Attachments

• 64D99A08-268D-4957-AFAC-D2454338858F.jpeg
    64D99A08-268D-4957-AFAC-D2454338858F.jpeg
    859.9 KB · Views: 24
  • AA677D25-BCFD-4FC7-90DF-28BDA4EEB526.jpeg
    AA677D25-BCFD-4FC7-90DF-28BDA4EEB526.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
I just made 4 gallons of seltzer with Lutra and the Omega Proper Yeast nutrient for seltzer’s. Fermentation took 2 weeks and was crazy slow. My OG was 1.038, I pitched at 95 and maintained 90 the whole time. I haven’t a carbonated it yet but it’s crystal clear and tastes like watered down white wine. FG was .996
What kind of water? RO? Distilled? I did the same with tap water and it came out looking like white wine. I haven't made another batch since.

Latest posts

Back