Low FG on last 3 beers???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireguy94

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I'm a bit confused why lately I've been having such low FG on my beers. I'll give as many details as I can to help determine whats going on.

I've been reading the book "Yeast" by Jamil Zainasheff so I've been really working on getting large cell count on my yeast and fast, clean fermentation. I'm guessing its part of the problem.

Ok so I brewed the Centennial Blonde thats in the pale ale section on Sept 27 with no problems. I wanted a lower FG on that one so it wasn't an issue. I mashed at 150F as I wanted a lower FG and I believe thats what the recipe called for. I used Nottingham and specifically I used a yeast cake from a previous batch from the week before. I drained my wort right on to the cake, and airated it with a wine degasser to mix it up like crazy. Fermentation took off after 30 min. This beer had an OG of 1.047 and FG of 1.004.

Next beer. I brewed the Rye IPA out of the recent brew mag. I mashed at 152F. I also used the yeast cake from the cent blonde batch. I added wyeast nutrient to the boil and I also used white labs fermentation enzyme to the primary. As usual I airated with the degasser to mix it. The OG was 1.062 and FG was 1.004. Much lower than the recipe called for.

Last beer. I did the Samhain Pumpkin ale on the homebrewtalk site here. I mashed at 154F since I didn't have dennys fav 50 as suggested. This time I used 1056 with a 1L starter on a stir plate. I pitched it with the wyeast nut and the white lab enzyme. OG was 1.055 and I just racked it and the FG at 62F was 0.998!!!

Now granted I doing lots with my yeast to make it go crazy. I was under the impression that all this did was spead up the fermentation which prevented the yeast from becoming stressed and releasing unwanted flavours in the beer. It seems like all my batches are finishing way to low. I increase the mash temps by 2 degrees each batch but my last batch was the lowest. Anyone have an idea of whats going on. I'm brewing a Russian Imperial stout (HBT competition 2011 winner) tomorrow and don't want it to finish below 1.020. the FG target is 1.028. If ya guys need more info let me know I got lots of notes.

Oh and my hydrometer is brand new and I also check it with my refractometer at the proper temperatures.

The first 2 beers turned out great. The last one I just racked so time will tell. I just want to know why its happening so I can adjust for it.

Matt

Stop making your yeast so damn happy.

No seriously though the only thing that comes to mind, could it be your thermometer is out of calibration and your actually mashing at a lower temp than you think you are? Not sure why your yeast are attenuating so well. Normally I'd say all the better but like you said when you want it to finish sweet not dry that is definitely an issue.

Something's amiss. Denny's 50 wouldn't ferment sugar water that low let alone beer. I think maybe something could be wrong with your test equipment.

What does your thermometer read in boiling water? In ice water?

I'm throwing my hat in the ring of "something's amiss". :)

Are you using a refractometer to measure FG? or measuring hot wort with a hydrometer? How about mash time? 90 minutes instead of 60 will give the betas more time to convert long chains into short ones even after conversion of starch to sugar is complete. Does your thermometer read 212 in boiling water? How about tour hydrometer reading 1.000 in clean water?

Here are some blog posts you might find relevant:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/10/mash-temperature-and-thermometers.html
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/10/brew-house-efficiency.html

Back