Looks like a stalled fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finished1

Reaction score
I brewed a Mexican chocolate stout on Sunday and today it looks like the SG has not changed. I am using a Tilt 2 for live readings. It has only been 3 days but my original gravity was 1.060 and it is reading at 1.025 at the moment. My previous Mexican chocolate stout was at SG 1.020 at this same time period but with Safale-05 yeast. This time I used Wyeast 1098 for the current MCS. I am not too familiar with this yeast. Has it stalled out on me or does it take time to ferment? If it has stalled what should I do next? I do have some dry Safale-04 laying around. Just want some opinions.

Give it more time. Wait another day or so and bump up the ferm temp a degree or 2. What is your current temp at?

If you are using a Tilt, and uploading the data to a graphing spreadsheet, then just wait until the SG flatlines for a couple of days to know when the yeast is finished. Yeast don't work to a schedule, and will be done when they are done. The time your last fermentation took has no bearing on how long your current fermentation will take.

Edit: Also, a Tilt can get stuck against the fermenter wall (e.g. in the krausen ring) in which case it will read incorrectly. You can shake the fermenter gently to dislodge the Tilt, and get it reading correctly.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
If you are using a Tilt, and uploading the data to a graphing spreadsheet, then just wait until the SG flatlines for a couple of days to know when the yeast is finished. Yeast don't work to a schedule, and will be done when they are done. The time your last fermentation took has no bearing on how long your current fermentation will take.

Edit: Also, a Tilt can get stuck against the fermenter wall (e.g. in the krausen ring) in which case it will read incorrectly. You can shake the fermenter gently to dislodge the Tilt, and get it reading correctly.

Brew on :mug:
I honestly did not think of that. I will give a shake and see.

57% apparent attenuation after three days and you're worried? That yeast hasn't had a chance to stall yet. The problem as I see it? Too much data with the tilt. Walk away and let the yeast do their thing. Assuming your process was solid (e.g. mash temp wasn't way high), it'll go lower without intervention.

Hah! Information Overload! :D
In any case, a well-brewed sixty point beer isn't going to challenge any strain, and three days is too soon to leave the relaxed state.

Cheers!

Back