Looking to improve mash phase on new brew stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreck99

Wrecked Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let me first say that these were the best purchases I made last year. I've really enjoyed my new kettles (Spike Brewing) and brew stand (Patriot Brew Systems). However, there is one annoying thing I'd like to try and resolve without going full automated. I'd like to get there one day, adding in a control panel, pilot lights, etc but I'm looking for a quick and easy solution. I'm about 5 brews into this new system (haven't been able to brew much trying to sell the house).

During the mash, I have to fire up the burner about every 10-15 minutes as to try and maintain the heat. I recirculate the mash during the mash hour, and I get excellent efficiency with this setup. But the babysitting is a little annoying. I remember loading up my cooler mash tun and forgetting about it for an hour, doing something else while I waited on it to complete. Any suggestions on how to achieve this with my current setup?

Here's a pic:

new_stand_youtube-65970.jpg

You're also losing heat by the continuous recirculation; to retain more heat, only recirc when heating.

I've found that when doing mashes in my 9 gallon kettle + false bottom I can hold a 20-minute mash step temperature (losing 0 - 1 degree) without adding heat and just having the un-insulated kettle just sitting there. For my final rest that's about an hour, if I end up having a large mash that fills the full kettle, I can also hold temperature no problem for an hour. If I'm doing a smaller batch that doesn't fill the whole volume, I put an old winter coat around the kettle and that works.

So it would seem the only difference you've got going here is the recirc. I assume you're keeping the lid on while mashing/resting so you don't have a continuous evacuation of heat out the top. I'd suggest shutting off the recirc and putting an old coat around it. Salvation Army is a good cheap source, just get something extra large so it can fit around and zip up.

Assuming you're doing recirc as an intentional part of your process for mash efficiency or wort clarification, then maybe try getting some home pipe insulation and insulating your hoses.

You could add a HERMS coil to use during recirculation, or somehow insulate your MLT better (that reflective stuff?).

I have a HERMS. I used my old immersion chiller in the HLT and recirculate through there. I hold my temperature within 1/2 a degree.

Sorry to hear, what a deal that you're asking how to replicate your 20$ cooler with this rig. What if you left the burner on super duper low? Since you are recirculating you don't have to worry about stirring, or you could automated with a PID controller not sure how that works with gas.
i brew outside in Colorado in the winter and use an old big down jacket to cover the pot then I cover it with like a big bag like a trash bag and that works pretty well. There are other things you can wrap the kettle with some of them heat resistant I think that way you can leave it on all the time.

Basically your options are passive or active. You either recreate your cooler or you fire the Heat manually or automatically or leave it on super low which I think will work for you. Last temperature matters little I know people here will tell you that it does and they will grind me into the ground for saying it but it doesn't unless you're trying to mash it like a hundred seventy degrees or something. I'm sorry I forgot you're probably not doing full volume mashes either way a little less temp worry could help.

You could add a HERMS coil to use during recirculation, or somehow insulate your MLT better (that reflective stuff?).

I have a HERMS. I used my old immersion chiller in the HLT and recirculate through there. I hold my temperature within 1/2 a degree.

This sounds perfect, is cleaning the coil an issue though?

Thanks everyone for your insight. I have a couple of options to try. I've always recirculated the entire 1 hr with this setup. The efficiency is pretty awesome doing that. I have tried to keep the burner on real low setting...however the mash either still heats up eventually past my mark or blows out due to wind.

I may try not recirculating until the last past of the mash, maybe the last 15 minutes...that way I hopefully won't need to babysit it for the full hour like I am now. The HERMS coil is a great idea, but perhaps something I'll look into getting because I don't have something that I can use for this right now. I may also look for that reflective stuff to put around the mash tun. I am still doing 5-6gal batches. The system can handle 10-12 gal so maybe with the larger batches I won't have this problem.

These are all good ideas. Thanks everyone!

Welcome,
Wind block? so if you try setting them really low it will stay lit some tinfoil placed thoughtfully could work .

Welcome,
Wind block? so if you try setting them really low it will stay lit some tinfoil placed thoughtfully could work .

What's interesting is the stand has wind blocks built in around the burners and each section. I'm assuming the wind is blowing it out when its really low and I look a couple minutes later and its out / I smell gas.

Latest posts

Back