Looking for some good Kveik Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjay

Reaction score
Hi all

I am quite new to homebrewing and have recently started looking into the kveik yeast strains which seem quite interesting, and seems like they would work well in the current summer heat.
As such i would like to try some recipes utilizing this yeast, however i am having a hard time finding any on the internet.
Alas i am here and would like to hear about any recipes that you have tried with the kveik yeast. I am looking for something that would make for a great summer beer (think IPA, wheat, blonde etc.)

Cheers

The kveik pale ale recipe from atlanticbrewsupply.com is really good. I made it with citra hops and hornindal kveik and it came out really well. Super tropical fruit flavor, very smooth and refreshing.

I've used the Imperial Kveiking blend three times now; twice in Citra-heavy IPAs and the latest in a Wit. For the IPAs it did great; both were super juicy, nothing off, and very hazy even after a week on tap and not moving the kegs. The Wit was brewed last Tuesday and will be kegged up tomorrow; haven't tasted it yet but it smells great.

I currently have a kveik fermented pale ale on tap that used only Cascade hops. Turned out really good.
https://share.brewfather.app/aYrFUE9BcMg7CK
Sounds promising! i have just ordered home the recipes to try this one out - thanks :)

Are you interested in traditional farmhouse brewing with kveik or because it’s fast and good in the heat?
Well mostly because its fast and good in the heat as we have one of the warmest summers ever here in denmark, and i have no effective means of controlling the temperature except from warping wet towels round the fermentors ;)
- but in time, looking into traditional farmhouse brewing could be interresting as well

Sounds promising! i have just ordered home the recipes to try this one out - thanks :)

Well mostly because its fast and good in the heat as we have one of the warmest summers ever here in denmark, and i have no effective means of controlling the temperature except from warping wet towels round the fermentors ;)
- but in time, looking into traditional farmhouse brewing could be interresting as well
I do the same, oh and air conditioning, turns out it’s easier to keep a kveik warm. :) Farmhouse yeast registry this will give you characteristics of the strains and what conditions they like. It won’t tell you that under pitching is favorable for some Yeast and styles such as using Omega hothead for NEIPIA.

If you have a good recipe for xx beer, see what yeast is available to you and select the character that goes with the beer. Voss (Sigmund) produces orange peel and spice. That would be nice in a blonde.

Just opened the first bottle of a recent Vienna base malt pale ale with Simcoe hops and Hornindal Kveik. Very tasty and refreshing in this hot weather.

I made my first kveik-fermented ale with a Saison grist - thought the styles might be close somehow. Nothing bad but nothing to write home about either.
Now I brew them the traditional way, following the Vossaøl recipe: half pils / half pale, 3 hours mash / 3 hours boil, Lal's Voss (underpitched), slight FW hopping, 1.084, over 8% ABV. (The only thing I changed was substituting juniper twigs with juniper berries). I love the beer.

I made a 5% porter fermented with Voss Kveik and it turned out really good. My thought was trying to make a summer porter with a lower ABV and trying to get some of the orange flavor from the Voss. Really happy how it turned out.

Just brewed a summer wheat beer:

50/50 Split Maris Otter/Wheat Malt
Munich 10L Malt
Flaked Wheat

Mouteka Hops for bittering at 60 mins
Pacifica and Mouteka at 10 and 5 minutes.

Imperial Kveiking Yeast fermented at 68°

4.5% beer absolutely delicious with orange and tangerine flavors popping!

greatly depends on the kveik you are using, some are clean and others are fruity like a supercharged english ale yeast

Ive done the old 90% 2 row, 10% c60 with cascade 4-5 times in Varying OGs and been pretty happy. Sometimes adding wheat.

I have been making IPA's mostly with a couple of different Kviek's lately, how is every ones clarity? Mine all come out hazy, not that I mind.Just wondered about everyone else.

Mine don’t clear real well but I do nothing to help it. I ferment hot and fast with no cold crash or even extended conditioning past 6 days after I brew it.

Um... which one is that?

Just about every culture has had above average flocculation for me: Raftevold, Lida, Midtbust, Ebbegarden (this one especially), Framgarden. Simonaitis (not a kveik but farmhouse) did not, but the original sample I got was highly contaminated.
I've pulled isolates out of several of these cultures and they flocc very very well.
Wollsaeter does not flocc well at all, but it seems to be very unique compared to all other kveiks in regards to cell size. and behavior

as far as flavors go, Ebbegarden is the most tropical, Skare is the cleanest, Midtbust and framgarden are the most "english" tasting. Simonaitis is an orange juice bomb. Wollsaeter is clean with a pleasant cantaloupe flavor, Raftevold is unique, mildly spicy with a sharp orange peel flavor.

I made my first kveik-fermented ale with a Saison grist - thought the styles might be close somehow. Nothing bad but nothing to write home about either.
Now I brew them the traditional way, following the Vossaøl recipe: half pils / half pale, 3 hours mash / 3 hours boil, Lal's Voss (underpitched), slight FW hopping, 1.084, over 8% ABV. (The only thing I changed was substituting juniper twigs with juniper berries). I love the beer.

The original recipe if I recall, regarding CO2, is just naturally. Do you prime when you bottle? Or just bottle after a few days and let it naturally gas? Thanks

I tried the "natural carbonation" method earlier with a Sahti and didn't like the effect as carbonation was too weak to my taste, the beer tasted like it wasn't ready to drink (although it had been perfectly fermented and bottle conditioned). So, with my Kveiks, I just prime them with corn sugar to about 1.2-1.5v. Not sure bottle priming is true to the style but the beer definitely tastes better (or, better to say, more familiar to my palate).

I did a witbier grist with hornindal that was great (no fruit or spice used).

I've also used it in IPAs with citra, commet, azaaca, and they came out really well! Those were lighter grists, some wheat, some light crystal malt (10 or 20).

Back