Longer beer hose , less foam??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nebraskan

Assoc. Winemaker
Reaction score
I have read on Amazon and others sites that longer hose for the beer (not gas) gives less foam in the beer. True or not true? If true, what is an optimum length of hose for my picnic tap from my 3 gallon kegs?

I run my keg with a 6 foot line at 9 psi - the first pour has a bit too much foam but it's fine after that. Pouring gently (letting the beer run down the side of the glass) really helps.

There are so many variables other than length of hose, such as ID of hose, keg pressure, and the list goes on

Just have to look at the links posted above then actually get used to how your system works

Somewhere around 5-8 keg you’ll figure it out

I go with the rule of thumb of "1 ft 3/16" beer line per every 1 psi on the regulator" as ideal for me. Because I don't want different length lines on all the taps, I just went with 12 feet. It's great for most beers, but I wish I would have went a big longer to balance more highly carbed beers.

The disadvantage of lines that are too short is foamy beer. The disadvantage of lines that may be too long is it takes a couple seconds longer to pour a beer. So you can't really go "too long" for most homebrew set ups.

I go with the rule of thumb of "1 ft 3/16" beer line per every 1 psi on the regulator" as ideal for me. Because I don't want different length lines on all the taps, I just went with 12 feet. It's great for most beers, but I wish I would have went a big longer to balance more highly carbed beers.

The disadvantage of lines that are too short is foamy beer. The disadvantage of lines that may be too long is it takes a couple seconds longer to pour a beer. So you can't really go "too long" for most homebrew set ups.
+1 i do the same, i do the set it and forget it method of carbing, so 10psi i use 10ft of 3/16th hose.no foam issues here

Latest posts

Back