Long Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilssoninlaw

Reaction score
I've been sitting of some Apple and Pear juice waiting to harvest some yeast from my current 2 gallon batch of Apple cider.

On November 30, I started a simple 2 gallon batch of cider from store bought juice and 1 cup of Brown Sugar. I added some Safale K-97 yeast that I harvested from a recent Kolsch beer that I made.

It's been a month and a half and my fermentation lock is still bubbling about every 60 to 90 seconds. I'm glad I'm getting good results but I also am getting impatient waiting this one out! :D

I have a 5 gallon wine that started bubbling again after I racked and topped it. It was started over 6 months ago. Just goes to show there are no rules. Yeasts are microscopic anarchists.

Yep, as above...

My 2018 WLP773 cider took six weeks to go from 1.060 to 1.030. I thought it was stuck, added DAP and it was still only bubbling at about two bloops per minute. The coolstore temperature was 50C so I moved it inside to 60C and things improved a bit. Two months later it was finally down to 1.002

After initially blaming slightly out of date yeast etc, etc it turned out to be one of the best ciders I have made. So my suggestion is don't panic, go with the flow and just check that the SG is falling so that you know fermentation is continuing

I've read that some ciders slowly ferment all winter long, right up til spring.

Those multi month ferments are at ambient temperature using wild yeasts, and may include MLF once spring hits, too.

Back