Long Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsmasters

Reaction score
I have had and AHS American IPA 1 going for 6 days now and it is still bubbling! This is only my 2nd brew but the first one only fermented for 2 or 3 days and then it was barely going, this one started about 20 hours after pitching and has been pretty steady ever since. It has slowed down some, but it is still bubbling about every 6 to 7 sec. I used the White Labs California Yeast and a yeast fuel from AHS. Has anyone else experienced such a long fermentation? And should I let it sit longer that my normal week the put in the secondary since it is still churning?

:tank:

6 days is nothing to worry about...just let it go til it slows down and/or reaches the FG that you're shooting for

I recently brewed an AHS Pale Ale and it was 14 days before it calmed down...it was ready to drink this weekend and it's my first batch that I would serve with pride...it's gooooood

so don't sweat it

I am experiencing a long fermentation with my current batch. Its been going for almost a month now, but gravity is still dropping so Im just gonna let er go till shes done. You might take gravity readings for the next 2-3 days. If gravity is the same after this time period, go ahead and rack to secondary

Thanks guys, it is definately slowing down to a minimal rumble so I am going to watch it closely the next few days.

jagged said:
6 days is nothing to worry about...just let it go til it slows down and/or reaches the FG that you're shooting for

I recently brewed an AHS Pale Ale and it was 14 days before it calmed down...it was ready to drink this weekend and it's my first batch that I would serve with pride...it's gooooood

so don't sweat it

Was that the Anchor Liberty Ale clone? I just brewed that and it has been bubbling for about 14 days.

Hey guys, you cannot control mother nature. Yeast is a living thing and like a women, is going to do what it is going to do. If it is still bubbling, let it bubble until it stops. If you are following an instruction sheet, keep in mind, they are general instructions, they cannot control temperature or any of the other factors that control brewing. Relax, let it do its thing. After its done, bottle or keg and enjoy, the key word >>>enjoy<<<.

I have the same thing, Im going on day 8 on my wheat beer, that i had to rig a blow off tube, is still going strong. My first beer had a higher gravity and was done by 4 days maybe sooner.

It has been 10 days now and the bubbling is nonexistent, but it does keep pressure in the bucket. I was going to move it to the secondary today and when i check the SG it was where it was supposed to be (1.012) from (1.060). My question now would be. As I looked at it closely, it has not settled much at all, there is still allot of floating settlement. I do use a secondary but i also try to let it settle for a couple of days after fermentation to help clear it even further...your thoughts?

:tank:

As a general rule of thumb...

1 week in the primary

2 weeks in the secondary

3 weeks to carb & condition.

If you are goin' w/o a 2ndary let it go 2-3 weeks until stops bubbling in the primary. If you sanitized well you have nothing to worry about with the longer time it takes. It better to let it sit longer than bottle early. Less chance of bottle bombs.

Remember cooler temps make for longer ferments, this results in dryer crisper ales. This is good unless you really want the fruitiness to come thru.

Moving the carboy/fermenter dislodges absorbed CO2. It happens all the time when I move mine. No biggee

:mug:

Back