let the yeast harvesting fun begin...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesmartin

Reaction score
i just suffered through 4 bottles of bells 2 hearted to begin my first commercial harvest...started with 2...thought 3 might be better...had 4, why not 4? mixed the 4 with 4 cups of water, 1 cup of dme. i will update in a day or 2.

I had great luck harvesting yeast from 2H. Made a killer RyePA with citra hops that was one of my favorite brews yet.

I used the dregs from 3 bottles to make a 100ml initial starter then stepped it up with 1000ml the next day. I'm sure yours will be fine too. Do you have a stirplate? I think that helped alot.

thanks for the encouragement. my current stirplate is attached to my shoulder, but i give it a whirl whenever i walk by it.

your mention of ryepa reminds me of founders red's rye...an amazing brew. would clone it if i could/can. how many oz of citra in the ryepa?

I also recently harvested some Bell's yeast. Was pretty successful even though I didn't step the starter properly. Dumped 5 bottles worth of yeast in 1L of 1.040 wort. Fermented like a champ in my two hearted clone. Currently dry hopping the result. Was surprised at how well it chewed up those gravity points. I got close to 80% apparent attenuation. I had my temp controller set at 66 for the start and then moved it up as things slowed. Will definitely try that again.

Love that Bell's strain!! CRAZY attenuation (i don't have the specific numbers, but the last thing I used it in was a RYE PA and I got about 90% atten.).

One thing to keep in mind if your two hearted culture doesn't work out: they use the same yeast strain in almost everything. Because of this, it is more likely you can get a good sample of this from something with a lower IBU and ABV (I used their Pale Ale).

Back