Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 weeks in primary. Took sample it's done. Not near the lime I was thinking would be. Lots of banana with hefe 4. More than I thought also. Give it 1 more week and keg up to see. Followed 1st recipe

That's my fear with this recipe. I think I'm going to brew it with good old us-05 yeast. Neutral so that the hops and lime shine through.

Brewed this up today. Had originally planned to do a watermelon wheat but good watermelons are hard to come by this late in the summer. Hope its worth the hype.

2 weeks in primary. Took sample it's done. Not near the lime I was thinking would be. Lots of banana with hefe 4. More than I thought also. Give it 1 more week and keg up to see. Followed 1st recipe

Update?

Why the 158*F mash temp?

BS2 says Est 5.4 ABV @ 148* and 4.5% @ 158*.

I know the Limeade will add sugar and bump up the ABV. Is this why?
Is it because of the Grain Bill?

I'm brewing this in 2 hours and am tweaking my steps.

Thanks

Why the 158*F mash temp?

BS2 says Est 5.4 ABV @ 148* and 4.5% @ 158*.

I know the Limeade will add sugar and bump up the ABV. Is this why?
Is it because of the Grain Bill?

I'm brewing this in 2 hours and am tweaking my steps.

Thanks

I think it should have some wheat flavor, and shouldn't be too dry. Still, I would have guessed 156-ish mash temp.

My strike water was 166*F. The temp was 153.6*F @ 30 min into the 45 min mash.
I'll take it! I was using my new igloo mash tun for the first time.
Pre boil was 1.048, post boil was 1.059. So my real numbers were 4 points higher than BS2.

The picture was taken this morning, 12 hours after pitching dry yeast. Glad I made the bigger blow-off tube for this one.

Capture.jpg

Thought I would post up my findings after drinking this beer for a bit. It has great color and amazing head retention. Leaves a nice lacing high in the glass. It took a lot of gas to carb this sufficiently... like 20psi over a week and half period. Not sure if that is normal (I am still new-ish to kegging), my my few others (brown and red ales) needed only 12-13 psi.

I would say that the flavor is a little too much lemon/lime. It is not that either over balances the other... just a lot of it, and provides the effect of being too much citrus and not enough beer. It is too tart, especially on your first sip. Once you get accustomed to it, its not bad and I can drink it easily. I tried brightening it with a lime wedge - but that makes it too limey. A wedge of lemon on the other hand, does brighten it up and makes it more approachable.

I followed the recipe as it is, hit the numbers, and used Hefe IV with a healthy starter. Fermented in a controlled chamber in the middle bottom end of the range. It was in primary for almost a month (a little long perhaps) before being kegged. My only variation as I can tell was I used about 3 ounces of lime juice in the mash to bring the pH down a bit (figured I was using the limes, and a little citric acid helped).

So, if I were to brew this again (I will at some point), I would go with a little less lime zest and a little less limeade (maybe 3/4 bottle).

-BD

I will definitely be brewing it again for Summer'16. Maybe even before then.
I would back off the malt a bit. My HeFe turned out to be 5+% - a bit too high for a summer hefe. Perhaps higher efficiency or the addition of limeade.
I will be aiming for 3-4% next time.

So far my favorite batch of this is the most recent one I brought to Burning Man. There is a little left and I have another 1/2 gallon I need to add to the keg that didn't fit originally.

I ended up adding more hops, using trader joe's limeade instead of simply limeade, and then WLP 300 that I have been reusing for a while. I kept fermentation temps stable and it comes out almost like a pale in the bitterness with lots of lime flavor. The TJ limeade seems a little more tart in that regard. I think i have made this recipe about 4 times now, but keep adjusting it here or there. I may keep it where its at after this.

Alright finally brewing this evening after many delays. I'm not into the traditional Hefeweizen esters so I had planned on using us-05 but revisiting that decision. I'm leaning towards wyeast 1010 American wheat, or 2565 kolsch. Obviously the kolsch is a little more neutral than the 1010. The 1010 will have some wheat characteristics but leaves a slightly tart finish from
What I hear. I'm just wondering if the tart finish along with the limeade would be too much for this beer?

3 weeks into carb'ing. Not disappointed at all! A little too much lime for me though. Next brew will try half the limeade. Cheers!

Some good news for all of you that are fans of this recipe....it's been rated one of the top 10 home brew recipes and as a result homebrew supply will start carrying this recipe in a homebrew kit! Not sure when it will be available or how much they will charge, but once they do it, you won't have to go shopping for all the individual ingredients...just click and pay!

Some good news for all of you that are fans of this recipe....it's been rated one of the top 10 home brew recipes and as a result homebrew supply will start carrying this recipe in a homebrew kit! Not sure when it will be available or how much they will charge, but once they do it, you won't have to go shopping for all the individual ingredients...just click and pay!

Congratulations slim

I would agree this a an awesome recipe. All your hard work is paying off (Hopfully!)

Can't wait for next summer to make another 10 gallons

here is the page for all:

http://www.homebrewsupply.com/beer-recipe-kits/2015-top-homebrew-talk-recipes.html

and here is your page:

http://www.homebrewsupply.com/renoenvys-lemon-lime-hefeweizen-all-grain-recipe-kit.html

I might just make this one on our clubs learn to brew day... :ban:

congrats!

I hope this kit is successful for Homebrew Supply....however I was shocked that this recipe finished behind cloned beers! I'm guessing thought that this beer will just kill it in sales and reviews!

I'm making a push to get it in to first by the end of this week....taught several people how to brew this, and now I'm calling in favors!!!!

So brewed this up probably 2 months ago. I had ordered the hops specially for this beer so I had extras. I'm a bit of a hop head so I thought why not and doubled the hops. I also used us-05 yeast to let the hops shine. Yeah didn't turn out so well. The hops have such a distinct taste so double with a clean yeast didn't work. The beer has been in a keg for a month. I'm just gonna forget about it for a while in hopes that the hops fade. Oh well. Lesson learned. [emoji482]

So I wasn't too keen on the calculations done earlier in this thread regarding the ABV after the limeade is added. It seems like only the extra sugar was considered, not the increase in volume. One bottle of limeade is 1.75L, or 0.462 gal, and contains 28g sugar per 8 oz. This means there is ~207g of sugar in a full bottle. Once this is converted (assuming 100% yield), you end up with 111g of ethanol, or 88mL. 88mL/1750mL is 5.02% ethanol from just fermenting the limeade.

Now let's look at the rest of the beer. I put the grain bill into Brewer's Friend with 80% efficiency high attenuation (77%) to allow the highest possible ABV. I also used a final volume of 5.538 gallons (6 gallons - limeade volume). This gave an OG of 1.061, FG of 1.014, and ABV ~6.18%, nowhere near some people's ABV in the 7-8% range. If you add up the total acohol in each and divide by the new volume, it will lower the ABV.

5.538 gallons * 0.0618 = 0.3422 gallons ethanol from the beer
0.462 gallons * 0.0502 = 0.0232 gallons of ethanol from the limeade

(0.0232 gallons + 0.3422 gallons) / 6 gallons = 6.09%
Unless something weird goes on with the beer or limeade that I don't know about, it should slightly lower the ABV, but a really insignifcant change. Also, I am going to measure the OG of limeade and ferment it, for science. I will get back with the results.

This is the most useful post in the thead. Thanks, and I agree that most people are forgetting to consider the water. However, either a new recipe or different regions, The simply limeade I found is 47g sugar/8oz. This makes the feremented juice ~9% abv at 10% of the volume, which using your math above does actually add ~0.2% to the ABV.

The point is people should do the math based on their wort OG and volume, and the sugar content of whatever juice they are using

I'm two weeks into fermentation and just took a sample. I went into the fermenter at 1.051 and am currently sitting at 1.017. Where are you guys ending up on your final gravity numbers?

I'm two weeks into fermentation and just took a sample. I went into the fermenter at 1.051 and am currently sitting at 1.017. Where are you guys ending up on your final gravity numbers?

Ended at 1015 last time I brewed this. That's right about average for me on this one.

Hit my gravity spot on but realized I had no head space left for the limeade. What should I do rack some off and add limeade to the primary or rack to secondary to add limeade? Probably doesn't matter right? If I rack to secondary will there be enough yeast left behind to take care of the limeades sugars??? Its a low flocculating yeast so I'm guessing it won't be a issue????

Jamie.

Yesterday was week 2 in primary. Brewed Bavarian Hefe- can I still add this? Gravity last night was 1.010 and original was 1.050. Bottling this week.

However, is it too late to add the lime? Just found the recipe recently and wonder if it isn't worth a shot or redo this batch later??!

I realize if I do add- it will take another week or so, given that krausen has dropped and yeast might be asleep a little.

Yesterday was week 2 in primary. Brewed Bavarian Hefe- can I still add this? Gravity last night was 1.010 and original was 1.050. Bottling this week.

However, is it too late to add the lime? Just found the recipe recently and wonder if it isn't worth a shot or redo this batch later??!

I realize if I do add- it will take another week or so, given that krausen has dropped and yeast might be asleep a little.

I split this 5gsl batch. Racked 2.5 gallons into bottling bucket to have a true Hefeweizen and then adjusted the juice and lime zest in the rest of the 2.5 gal in the primary and gave it a nice stir (gentle) to see how it works out with this recipe. Airlock www bubbling away this morning.

Hi all,

Not sure if this question has been asked here but here goes. My HBS does not carry White Wheat Malt but they do have Bestmalz (German) Wheat Pale. Is this the same thing?

Holy craps balls - this came out really freakin' well! I bottled to 3 vols in 22oz bombers. Just coming up on 4 weeks in the bottle and they've come into their own. Three weeks in was pretty good but now it's unreal. And really amazing how much the beer changed over four weeks. Thank you very much for the recipe man!!

How much lemon lime taste do you get vs the hefe taste? Has anybody tried using wlp008 with this. From the descriptions I think that would compliment this really well, wouldn't be a hefe, but still be good perhaps.

I've come to the point where I won't brew this if WLP380 isn't available. You will absolutely make beer with another yeast but it won't be this beer.

Having said that - I had to sub Equinox in for the Sorachi Ace on today's batch. Never used Equinox before but it smells awesome. Looking forward to having this on tap again!

Just brewed my first batch of this today. Got it set up in my conical and just pitched the yeast. After reading everyone's comments, it's going to be a long four weeks......

Latest posts

Back