Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went from .050 to .030 in 3 days. Wlp300, 62 degrees.

First time ever doing a hefe. Does that sound like the proper rate of fermentation to everyone?

Is the 11.9 IBU target on the original recipe still the recommended target? I'm only able to find Motueka in 11.1% AA, and Sorachi Ace at 15.5% AA.

If I added at the original weight of the recipe, Brewers Friends is telling me I'll land at 22.35 IBU (Tinseth). I'm assuming I should scale back, but if I do that I have to drop each addition to .1 oz before I hit 11 IBUs.

I scaled back to a 5 gallon batch, but that still seems like a piddly amount of hops. Am I doing something wrong?

I would scale back the hops, the hop schedule is based around maximum extraction and flavor profile.

I would scale back the hops, the hop schedule is based around maximum extraction and flavor profile.

So would you recommend each addition gets scaled back the same proportion then Slim? Timing the same, just using much less hops? Or should I cut more heavily from earlier additions that more strongly effect the bittering?

I have been a lurker for awhile now and first off, thanks to everyone for their great knowledge. When I came across this recipe I thought what a great recipe for weekends at the lake.

My question is that since I will be doing the extract version of this, do I just bring my water to a boil and add the LME and continue the hop schedule or am I missing the grains to be steeped before bringing to a boil and continuing?

I skimmed most of all the pages and learned a lot and about different variations but I didn't see this so if it got covered I apologize

I haven't attempted to read through the thread yet, but between the kids coloring eggs and me drinking I forgot the line zest. I was thinking adding it with the limeade, what do you guys suggest?

The zest is for an after flavor effect, at this point I would just skip it....it will only minimally impact your beer

You could use vodka and the zest to make a lime zest extract and just pour the extract in the beer. Soak the zest in the vodka for a week then strain it and pour the vodka in.

Has anybody used saison yeast wlp565? I brewd 15 gallons of this about 2 months ago and it was gone pretty fast so i am making 20 gallons this time and have some saison yeast laying around im going to use on 5 gallons of it, just wondering if it will turn out or if the yeast will take over?

Tried this today, did 5 with limeaid and 5 with rasberry limeaid. I like the original recipe much better but the rasberry was still good! Thanks again! Definitly will do this one again

I have eagerly awaited to brew this champ of a beer, due to my lhbs not having some ingredients (mexican craft beer is just getting started and finding somen ingredients is plain difficult)

A really noob question. Iprepared my own limeade with natural lemons water and sugar. Its been three weeks since this pretty lady has been fermenting and... oh surprise, the smell is kinda gross.

I sense sone hints of dill pickles and fermented lemon.

Is this normal? Does this also happen by using the storebought limeade (i dont know if its 100% natural or has some artificial lemon flavors), or are my lemons too organic and natural and rotted in the fermenter? :(

Any comments would be greatly appreciated
Happy brewing!

Just finished making this - been on my list for a while. But... ended up having to substitute saaz for the motueka, cascade for the sorachi ace, Wlp 300 for the yeast. Bad recipe to try a new lhbs for ingredients I guess.

Also forgot to get a lime so used a combo of lemon zest and lime juice. Oh and my mash temp dropped from 158 to 152ish over the 45 minutes. But had better than usual efficiency - the hydrometer sample was really nice...

So a version of the original - we'll see how it turns out!

Despite all the tweaks given the issues above, this thing turned out GREAT... One of my best yet. Made it for a wedding thing, went over very well... Didn't get much line but this is so good...

Just finished making this - been on my list for a while. But... ended up having to substitute saaz for the motueka, cascade for the sorachi ace, Wlp 300 for the yeast. Bad recipe to try a new lhbs for ingredients I guess.

Also forgot to get a lime so used a combo of lemon zest and lime juice. Oh and my mash temp dropped from 158 to 152ish over the 45 minutes. But had better than usual efficiency - the hydrometer sample was really nice...

So a version of the original - we'll see how it turns out!

Despite all the tweaks given the issues above, this thing turned out GREAT... One of my best yet. Made it for a wedding thing, went over very well... Didn't get much lime flavor but this is so good...

I have eagerly awaited to brew this champ of a beer, due to my lhbs not having some ingredients (mexican craft beer is just getting started and finding somen ingredients is plain difficult)

A really noob question. Iprepared my own limeade with natural lemons water and sugar. Its been three weeks since this pretty lady has been fermenting and... oh surprise, the smell is kinda gross.

I sense sone hints of dill pickles and fermented lemon.

Is this normal? Does this also happen by using the storebought limeade (i dont know if its 100% natural or has some artificial lemon flavors), or are my lemons too organic and natural and rotted in the fermenter? :(

Any comments would be greatly appreciated
Happy brewing!

I would tend to agree that your natural lemons contributed to the off smell. That said, give it some time and see what happens. What yeast did you use, what was the fermentation temperature?

Brewed this up yesterday (first brew since February-ish).

I followed the gist of the recipe but had to use red wheat instead of red.

I also used a local yeast strain (southyeast labs) instead of the recommendation, so we'll see how that goes, but I did have airlock activity within around 6 hours. Last time the fermentation temp got too high and it tasted like a lemon lime bubblegum beer. Hoping to nix the bubblegum this go around :mug:

I thought any splashing after fermentation started negatively impacted the beer. I not sure wheree

Key word being "after fermentation" ...

If you pitched the limeade at high krauzen, there is so much CO2 present that oxidization isn't an issue.

You don't want that additional oxidation after fermentation to affect the long term storage of your beer as it could lead to off flavors eventually. I am not to worried about light beers that I know will be consumed fast. But always cautious as I can reasonably be.

Has this been brewed with any regular ale yeasts? Just wondering as I'm not a huge fan of hefe's but the recipe looks great.

I used the wyeast American wheat on mine because I don't care for hefe's either. When I racked it to the secondary it tasted kind of limey and smelled like butt, so I immediately thought of calling it Mexican farts. I am happy to say the fart smell went away and it turned out to be a good brew. You can try that yeast if you want to still keep it a wheat style.

I didn't have a full five gallons, maybe about 4.25, but still put the whole limeade bottle in the fermentor. Mine came out a little heavy on the limeade to where it hits you as you swallow and its a little too overpowering. You get past it after a couple drinks, but I think next time if I don't have the full five gallons I may scale back. I also forgot the lime zest and I wonder if that would add the layer to blend the flavors I feel mine is missing. How would you guys describe where you taste the zest and how intense is your limeade flavor?

Doing this one today. Got a NB American wheat kit that I need to use. Gonna use lemon zest instead of the ace hops and lime zest because it's what I have on hand.

I actually used safbrew WB-06. My lhbs was out of the liquid yeast for a wheat beer. They recommended the yeast that I used. Hopefully it'll be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Any report back on how the dry yeast was?

I know it's been a while.

Curious about WB-06

I brewed by first all grain batch on Monday (my second batch of beer ever) and it went great. I hit my gravity and it smelled awesome. I followed Slim's recipe exactly. However, I did not have any airlock activity or krausen. I decided to relax and give it a little more than 72 hours to work its magic. The magic never happened. I took my first gravity reading today (Friday) and it has not moved. In a panic I went and got the only yeast I could close to home, nottingham dry ale yeast. I hydrated this and pitched it before work. I know this is far from ideal, but I will be away from home all weekend. I cooled my wort to 70 before aerating then pitching. I did just use a vial of Hefe IV though. Lesson learned, use a starter.

I think this batch may be ruined, even though it looked so promising. Anything else I should do? Time to drink my pain away this weekend, but not with a homebrew

You should be fine. Like you mentioned, it'll be a bit different since you didn't use a hefe yeast, but I suspect it'll be tasty either way.

What was the date on the yeast vial? Starters are typically considered best practice, but they're not always necessary so there might be something else at play here.

Thank you so much for this recipe. Everyone has loved it. After work on Thursday we opened up 5 bottles I had chilled in a cooler in the back of the man-van. Everyone got about 6 ounces or so before we headed home for our long weekend. Everyone loved it. Thanks again!

-----------------------------
I brewed it extract. This was my second brew at the time.
~2.75 Gallons Water
Steeped 8 oz Belgian Aromatic @ 150 deg F for ~10 minutes
3.3 pounds Wheat LME
3.5 ounces Amber DME
60 min boil
2.5 grams Motueka @ 60 minutes
2.5 grams Motueka @ 20 minutes
2.5 grams Willamette @ 20 minutes (See note)
2.5 grams Willamette @ 7 minutes
5.0 grams lime zest @ 5 minutes
German Wheat Wyeast 3333 @ ~65 deg F (just the smack pack; no starter)

I used Santa Cruz limeade because the other stuff was not in stock.
(This brand of limeade itself is kind of weak in my opinion but was good)
Added 0.5 quarts 4 days after pitching

Ended up with 2.625 gallons of brew that went into about 25 bottles.

I was worried about the priming sugar like others have posted. The recommended amount had me worried. I conceded and used 5 ounces of priming sugar/dme blend and it worked great. No bombs and excellently carbonated.

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.014

Brewed 4/19/2015 Bottled 5/11/2015 Drinking 5/24/2015

Last edited:
This is my repeat summer beer. Everyone loves it. Thank you for the recipe. The moteuka and sorachi ace are irreplaceable in this recipe. Imo it makes this recipe great.

This year, I dumped the wort on an Red IPA yeast cake. My straw yellow Shandy is now a blood red Shandy. People really are surprised to see how light in body the beer is despite the color.

You should be fine. Like you mentioned, it'll be a bit different since you didn't use a hefe yeast, but I suspect it'll be tasty either way.

What was the date on the yeast vial? Starters are typically considered best practice, but they're not always necessary so there might be something else at play here.

I don't have the exact date, but it expired late July

Brewed the all-grain version yesterday. Used 4 limes to get the 0.5oz of zest. OG was 1.052 and she started to show activity about 6 hours after pitching the yeast. I'll wait about 72 hours then I'll dump in the Limeade. Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

Back