Late hopping in no-chill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
So I'm a lazy bum. That's why I'm thinking of doing a no-sparge and no-chill brew. Basically I just want to leave the hot brew outside overnight and rack it into the fermenter the next morning. Here is where I got some questions: how to do late hopping in no-chill? I think I would pitch the late hop addition after the brew chills a little so I won't get too much bitterness out of flavoring hops. So maybe 0 min instead of 15 min? and -15min after flame-out instead of 5 min? Can anyone help me with this?

So I'm a lazy bum. That's why I'm thinking of doing a no-sparge and no-chill brew. Basically I just want to leave the hot brew outside overnight and rack it into the fermenter the next morning. Here is where I got some questions: how to do late hopping in no-chill? I think I would pitch the late hop addition after the brew chills a little so I won't get too much bitterness out of flavoring hops. So maybe 0 min instead of 15 min? and -15min after flame-out instead of 5 min? Can anyone help me with this?

I'm kinda new here and I might be wrong, I really hope I am, but I get the feeling that no-chilling gets the cold shoulder on this forum.
:confused:

I no chill all the time. I add my late hops in the kettle at flame out. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then run it into my kegs for cooling overnight.

I've followed normal recipes, used no-chill, and had them come out just fine.

I should note that I actually pour the hot brew (cooled to about 180) into the fermenter and let it cool there. Shouldn't matter for hops, though.

I should note that I actually pour the hot brew (cooled to about 180) into the fermenter and let it cool there. Shouldn't matter for hops, though.

so you just follow the hop schedule for the recipe and that is it ?

I read about 100 pages of posts and it made my head spin about adding it later blah blah

then bought a wort chiller, if it is that easy no chiller for me

all the best

S_M

I also routinely no chill and just follow recipes as normal with no notable difference.

This works fine with a bucket fermenter and you don't even have to cool it from boiling but don't try it in a carboy. They cannot stand the thermal shock and can shatter at any time after you pour. You do not want to be carrying it if it shatters.

All my beers are no-chill (since 2009). I leave it on the stove overnight w saran wrap around the lid edge.

For late hopping, I wait 15-20 min after flame out to add these hops. The kettle is still blowing off steam at this point but should be about 170-180*. Then I drop the lid on it and come back in the morning to transfer to the fermenter and pitch yeast.

Well I brewed my no-chill last night. After thinking about it and reading your posts and this article from BYO I decided to move my late hop additions by 15 min. And so I pitched my 10 min hops 5 min after the flame-out and my 0 min hops at 15 min after the flame-out. At the flame-out I left the brew outside to cool at ~40F overnight, sitting on a concrete floor and started the late hops additions. I will keep you posted on the finished product.

so you just follow the hop schedule for the recipe and that is it ?

I read about 100 pages of posts and it made my head spin about adding it later blah blah

Sorry for the late reply, but yes.

This works fine with a bucket fermenter and you don't even have to cool it from boiling but don't try it in a carboy. They cannot stand the thermal shock and can shatter at any time after you pour. You do not want to be carrying it if it shatters.

That's true. Well, it'll probably shatter shortly after you pour the wort in. Don't subject glass to thermal stress unless it's Pyrex.

Back