"SMaSH" With Multiple Hop Formats/Years/Farms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HM-2

Life Begins at 10g/L
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Slightly philosophical question this morning but here goes.

I'm at best an occasional SMaSH brewer who so far has stuck fairly rigidly to the traditional "hops from one harvest, from one brand, in one format" approach. My local homebrew club does a SMaSH monty every year in late Spring and I'm planning a Vienna/Mosaic pale ale. But I don't have enough of any one type of Mosaic in my fridge. Instead I have a jumble of T90 and Cryo from 2 different brands across 2020-2022 harvests.

Here's my philosophical question- it meets the letter of "SMaSH", but is it in the spirit? If so, how far can I push the concept? If I use Mosaic incognito and/or spectrum extracts, is is still a "SMaSH" beer?

It is still a SMASH! Mosaic is a specific cultivar of hops. I know about terroir and all that, but if it is Mosaic, then it is the same cultivar; therefore, your beer will still be a SMASH.

^ I haven't had enough coffee yet either.
...'redundant hops'? ..maybe more of a smersh?
СМЕРШ_Удостоверение_контрразведки_1943.jpg

I say if it is the same hop, regardless of the year it was grown it is ok. I have done a few different ones just to see how the different tastes are and I have not cared when they were grown. As a matter of fact, I used some of my own home grown for kicks.

SMaSHing.

I might up the OG and throw in some Incognito then. Thank you for validating my whims.

Back