Late extract addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
I know this is probably been answered time and time again but, if I do a late extract addition to minimize caramelization do I need to make changes to my hop schedule or hop amounts at all?

When I'm doing AE (All Extract), I use 2-3lbs of plain DME in a 3 1/2 gallon boil for hop additions. A lighter wort seems to give good bittering & flavor. This all balances out when I add the remaining extract(s) @ flame out. Pasteurization happens in seconds @ 160F. And since the wort's still boiling hot, just stir in the extracts completely & cover for a couple minutes while you get your wort chill process set up. I can get very light colors with this method & cleaner flavors.

So adding at flame out for whirlpool / hopstsand would be fine? This won't affect the character of the hopstsand addition for aroma and flavor will it?

Thanks for the input guys

So adding at flame out for whirlpool / hopstsand would be fine? This won't affect the character of the hopstsand addition for aroma and flavor will it?

Thanks for the input guys

No, it would be fine. I'd add it first, as it will bring the temperature of the wort down, and then do the hopstand in the 170-180 degree range.

Does that mean if you are adding hops at flame out, you add the remaining extract and then add the hops? Or do you add the zero minute hops, wait a few minutes, and then add the remaining extract?

Also, once zero minute hops are added, do you begin cooling the wort immediately, or wait for a few minutes to allow the hops to release their flavor?

Back