Late extract Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantman1

Reaction score
Hi all-

I'm only a few batches deep in my brewing experience, but already I've noticed from what I've been doing (and reading) that it's tough to get a light colored beer using extract.

I'd like to try adding the extract later in the boil, but I'm not sure how this will affect hop utilization, or how to calculate the changes I'll have to make with the hops, if at all.

Anyone have any general suggestions?

I'm probably going to brew an extra pale ale using DME, but haven't decided on the exact hops and grains i'll use.

If you can find it, the "extra light" DME makes a lighter colored beer. I'd had 1/2 of the extract at the beginning, and 1/2 the extract with 15 minutes left or so.

As far as hopping, you could do the same hopping as you would an AG type recipe. Some people say there aren't any changes in late extract addition, but it my experience, the bittering hops are best reduced by about 20%. The rest of the hops are fine.

If you can find it, the "extra light" DME makes a lighter colored beer. I'd had 1/2 of the extract at the beginning, and 1/2 the extract with 15 minutes left or so.

+1

I've made extremely light beers using this method. It works very well.

Latest posts

Back