Last-minute force carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adagiogray

Reaction score
Ok - new to kegging here, and trying to compensate for some oversights.
I had read some threads on force carbing, but it never occurred to me that the temps discussed were at fridge temps, not basement temp.
I found some charts today that show I am way super under-carbed.

Short version of the prob:
- Bringing our 5 gal corny keg of Honey Scottish to a wedding in 2 days.
- Set it at 22 PSI for ~36 hrs night before last, bumped it down to 13PSI last night.

Here's the rub: It's at basement temp(65-68ish), as I don't have a second refrigerator. After finding those charts it looks like I should have had it in the 25-30PSI range all along without it being chilled.

Thankfully, my dad's got a spare beer fridge in his basement that has some room in it, enough for my keg. So, with about 48-72 hours left....
how much PSI for how long, rock it or no, etc.

Lesson learned for future batches(I'll have a fridge, and do the 'set it and forget it' method), but any suggestions on compensating in the short term?
Get it chilled to 40ish degrees asap, one night at 35ish PSI, then back it down to 12-15ish for the final day?

I would pull a bit and see if its to much shake an bleed out then retest but the beer should be carbonated enough

I'm not a fan of rocking/shaking the keg, as it'll be foamy and the sediment will be all stirred up.

I'd put it into place (don't move it!) in the fridge at 40 degrees and set it at 30 psi for 40 hours or so. Then purge and reset to 12 psi. If you have another keg to transfer it to, that would be better so that you can move it off of the sediment that forms while it sits.

I pulled off a taster glass last night before putting it in the old man's spare fridge - it had plenty of head (probably in part thanks to the flaked barley), but was very flat with a haze of super-tiny bubbles near the top of the glass.

Hopefully the chill and bumping up the PSI will be enough by saturday.

Back