How low can you go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fixerman

Reaction score
I'm going to force carb my cider in a corny keg using the set and forget method with the keg and CO2 bottle in a mini fridge. I know that carbing at colder temps is more efficient. My question is how low should I go? My fridge goes as low as 26° F. The fact that carb charts seem to only go as low as 30° would seem to indicate that's as low as I should go. I asked a professional brewer for his opinion. He said he'd go with 32-33° because some freezing can occur below that, despite the alcohol content.

What temp would you recommend? Note: I don't care how long it takes. I'll just check periodically until it's where I want it. At that point, I'll bottle it in swing caps using my Blichmann beer gun.

-Rich

yes becareful dont go to low. i have froze kegs before which sucks. and also doesnt sometimes. . lol when i froze my cider keg the resulting jack was super clear and super apply and super tasty.

but frozen beer kegs suck. so i dont like to keep it too close to 32. i like around 36 to 40. its still very cold. and carbs up quick

the problem with 32-33 is that you can have cold spot in your kegerator even with a fan and then you can still freeze kegs even if the thermometer says its above freezing.
ymmv

also, becarefull not to overcarb it. sometimes i have had the same exact beer take a few days or a week to get to the same level of carbonation. so check everyday then lower it when you like it.

Back