Large Hop additions and beer loss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awshucks5

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers. I just made a beer that used about 9 ounces of hops in the boil, all late addition hops, and I am wondering what everyone does to account for beer loss. It seems that the logical thing to do is add more water to account for that. I use Beersmith and I didn't even think about it until I looked at my carboy today (fermentation is over and everything has pretty much settled out). Is there a way you can adjust a setting on Beersmith to account for the hops so you still end up with 5 gal. in the keg after fermentation or do you just have to add more water and play around with the amounts?

Yeah, increase overall batch size or squeeze the crap out of your hops bag :D (I'm a squeezer :p)

I don't know about Beersmith but the iBrewMaster app has a setting to account for trub. I'd think Beersmith would have something similar.

Squeezing the crap out of the hop bag helps, but when I weighed it out, I still lost 6oz wort to every oz hops. If you have the kettle capacity to make an extra fraction of a gallon, you can do that. Given that hoppy beers are usually better fresh, a slightly smaller batch size may not be such a curse.

Back