LaMotte Water Test Kit Hands on Trial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micraftbeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently did a hands-on trial of the LaMotte BrewLab Plus water test kit. I was skeptical going into it with all the "chemistry stuff" involved with test tubes and droplets of solution A and solution B. But I was surprised how it was actually kind of fun, and the distinct color changes as you reached the threshhold for measurement was very obvious. So I felt like it was able to give solid results that I could bank on and have been able to use my tap water (post 3-filter system) + brewing salts to get back in the ballpark of where I was with distilled water + brewing salts.

It's a bit pricey, but it has enough chemicals to do about 50 tests. So if you don't want to own it outright yourself, it's certainly an option to split the cost with a buddy or a club. Below is a link to my detailed review.

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2018/09/hands-on-review-lamotte-brew-lab-plus-water-test-kit.html

I’ve always been a little bit skeptical about those home water testing kits, but it sounds like it’s worth a shot. I’d love to demo it sometime.

The problem is that my usage rate would not come close to justifying the cost. I could see how this might be beneficial for a homebrew club or brewery, but there’s no way I’m going to test my water that many times before the reagents decompose.

The price point for water testing at Ward Labs is far too attractive to get me to jump ship sight unseen.

I was thinking about that kit as well. I just installed RO water and want to brew with it. I got John palmers app and it’s linked directly to that kit. But yeah sitting at almost 200 bucks it’s expensive. Would you even need that for RO water?

For RO water I would initially consider only a budget TDS meter. This just to determine when filters are in need of being changed.

Latest posts

Back