(ASAP) Advice needed for salt additions Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romex2121

Reaction score
I have a buddy that’s been asking me to show him the process of
AG brewing and today’s that day , I had him order a 5 gal. kit of his choice of ale thinking the instruction sheet would outline needed water volumes etc etc
so he could look back on it if needed in the future as he progresses (if he sticks with it).
my issue is I need some advice on salt additions cause for the short time I’ve been dabbling with salt additions I’ve not been able to get it to where I thought it was right.....
The kit he bought was
Palo Pinto Pale Ale ( 5 gal AG) from Texas Brewing Inc.
9.5 lbs Ireks pale ale
4 oz Ireks Crystal 40
4oz. Ireks Crystal 60
Mash at 152 ( single infusion) for 60 min. And batch sparge...
1 oz cascade @ 60 min
1 oz perle @ 20 min
1 oz cascade @ flame out
Safale Us-05 yeast
1 oz cascade dry hop 3 days before bottling. ( might skip )
OG 1.054-56 ish
FG 1.011-13 ish
ABV 5.5% ish
IBU 38 ish
Water to be used is all RO so some basic salts will be needed and this is where I need your help !!
WHAT SALTS ( and quantity) WOULD YOU RECOMMEND for this 5/5.5 gallon pale ale ????
I do have a scale but I currently don’t have a meter to test acidity yet ,,,, I’m just looking for additions that would get him in the ballpark for a decent 5 gallon brew and not be turned off and give up on brewing forever .......

I have a buddy that’s been asking me to show him the process of
AG brewing and today’s that day , I had him order a 5 gal. kit of his choice of ale thinking the instruction sheet would outline needed water volumes etc etc
so he could look back on it if needed in the future as he progresses (if he sticks with it).
my issue is I need some advice on salt additions cause for the short time I’ve been dabbling with salt additions I’ve not been able to get it to where I thought it was right.....
The kit he bought was
Palo Pinto Pale Ale ( 5 gal AG) from Texas Brewing Inc.
9.5 lbs Ireks pale ale
4 oz Ireks Crystal 40
4oz. Ireks Crystal 60
Mash at 152 ( single infusion) for 60 min. And batch sparge...
1 oz cascade @ 60 min
1 oz perle @ 20 min
1 oz cascade @ flame out
Safale Us-05 yeast
1 oz cascade dry hop 3 days before bottling. ( might skip )
OG 1.054-56 ish
FG 1.011-13 ish
ABV 5.5% ish
IBU 38 ish
Water to be used is all RO so some basic salts will be needed and this is where I need your help !!
WHAT SALTS ( and quantity) WOULD YOU RECOMMEND for this 5/5.5 gallon pale ale ????
I do have a scale but I currently don’t have a meter to test acidity yet ,,,, I’m just looking for additions that would get him in the ballpark for a decent 5 gallon brew and not be turned off and give up on brewing forever .......
If you’re using RO water, a basic ph meter or strip will get you ballpark. You’ll need a water chemistry calculator. I use Bru’n water (the creator is actually an active HBT member). Then you’ll plug in your grainbill and RO ph. The typical adjustments are Cacl, CaSo4, MgS04, NaCl, baking soda, and lactic acid or phosphoric acid. The program has targeted water profiles for beer styles and then you mess with the additions of each additive until you are near the targeted profile.

For the typical pale ale, having some sulfate in the water helps to dry the beer finish and enable the hops and bittering to come through. This response is probably late for the brew day, but a good thing is that sulfate salts can be added at any time.

There are other ions that can also be in the mix for pale ale and other styles. I invite you to read the Water Knowledge page of the Bru’n Water site to help you to understand the how and why of brewing chemistry.

Latest posts

Back