LALBREW® VOSS KVEIK ALE YEAST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottle conditioned my sour milk stout and it carbonated just fine. Perhaps you didn't have enough of an initial seal on your keg and the gas has been leaking out?

Yeah I hit it with co2 initially to clear the 02 and that usually checks the seal.

not terribly related but I got a pack of Lutra to try a pils (a la DrHans) but it's been sitting in the fridge since arrive last month and that pack is SUPER bloated now. I half expect Sigourney Weaver and some monster to pop out of it any day now.

yeah my pack of lutra swelled as well that thing want to ferment.

IMG-20201029-WA0007.jpeg

My Voss Kveik IPA brewed on the 10th of October. Bottled after 9 days and then 11 days in the bottle. The orange, tropical fruit flavours and aromas that were quite strong at bottling have mellowed a lot in the last 2 weeks, and the caramalt sweetness has also been fallen back somewhat. Carbed up nicely in the end as well

No orange at all. I get the white wine notes in my pale brews, that is completely masked here in the porter.

Just wanted to see how that Kolsch is doing now that it's been properly lagered? I'll be trying the Voss pale ale this weekend since that's 3 weeks in the bottle. Plan on dropping by the LHBS with the Voss brew and the Hothead brew for the owner (bjcp judge) to try. Not too sure they've had Kveik yeasts yet ;)

Just wanted to see how that Kolsch is doing now that it's been properly lagered? I'll be trying the Voss pale ale this weekend since that's 3 weeks in the bottle. Plan on dropping by the LHBS with the Voss brew and the Hothead brew for the owner (bjcp judge) to try. Not too sure they've had Kveik yeasts yet ;)

I actually kicked the keg on that kölsch last week. It cleaned up really well, but that white wine note stayed with it till the end. It had subtle malt flavors that took it out of style, no doubt from my use of domestic 2 Row, but also from kettle caramelization that resulted in a pleasant toffee background flavor. This was probably due to an aggressive 20 minute boil at the end to get it down to 5.5 gallons.

Did you guys, who had the white wine flavor with Voss ferment it at the upper end of the temperature range around 37c?

I did this multiple times and never had any wine-ish flavours in my beer. Although, I also used the liquid version of it.

I'll try this yeasty soon. I bought a couple of packets. Its end of spring here and the best I could do with my last batch was to ferment it at 75F. I used M44 yeast. Not sure what I'll get. I will setup a DIY fermentation chamber next week also, summer is coming (95-100F outside) so no way I can keep my house under 80.

Last edited:
I'll try this yeasty soon. I bought a couple of packets. Its end of spring here and the best I could do with my last batch was to ferment it at 75F. I used M44 yeast. Not sure what I'll get. I will setup a DIY fermentation chamber next week also, summer is coming (95-100F outside) so no way I keep my house under 80.
Voss is great in the summer. It'll keep giving you beer faster than you can drink it!

I'll try this yeasty soon. I bought a couple of packets. Its end of spring here and the best I could do with my last batch was to ferment it at 75F. I used M44 yeast. Not sure what I'll get. I will setup a DIY fermentation chamber next week also, summer is coming (95-100F outside) so no way I can keep my house under 80.

I fermented at around 39 to 40 Celsius (so like 102-104 F) and it performed very well. Fermentation finished in a day and a half. No off flavours at all.

I fermented at around 39 to 40 Celsius (so like 102-104 F) and it performed very well. Fermentation finished in a day and a half. No off flavours at all.
Noice! Did you cold crash later? I've never used it. It might make me rethink the whole fermentation chamber setup...

Did you guys, who had the white wine flavor with Voss ferment it at the upper end of the temperature range around 37c?

I did this multiple times and never had any wine-ish flavours in my beer. Although, I also used the liquid version of it.

I fermented at 32C (90F) with half a pack or about 7.5g in 5.5 gallons of standard gravity wort.

Noice! Did you cold crash later? I've never used it. It might make me rethink the whole fermentation chamber setup...

I did cold-crash, though the yeast had flocced out pretty well on its own. I just turned off my heat source and left it for 48 hours at ambient - which was like 8-10C.

Has anyone tried pseudo-lagers with this yeast? I understand it produces some orange/fruity esters, which might be more suitable for an IPA or wheat beer. But has anyone had success with a clean flavor profile at lower temps, like 77 F?

Just sampled the IPA. It’s PERFECT! I call it the “Orange Slice IPA” Very nice light bodied juicy ipa! Definitely in line to be rebrewed soon!

Attachments

• F80D64B8-79CE-4AED-B3DD-DBF18B4C8810.jpeg
    F80D64B8-79CE-4AED-B3DD-DBF18B4C8810.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
I've seen articles on it, using Kveik and pressure to get lagers without lager temps..
I actually just started fermenting in corny kegs and made a spunding valve to try out pressure fermentation. Maybe I'll give it a go next brew.

Nice! I translated the recipe and sounds like the esters were minimal when fermenting at slightly lower temps. Perhaps pitch a half or even full packet to ensure the yeast don't stress.
Yes, he says that the result tastes like a northern pils, which is dry and hoppy. He says they he gave it to his friends without letting them know what it is and then asked them to say which type of beer it is and they all said hop forward pilsener. So it seems to work quite well.

I've stopped cold-crashing. My 3rd-gen Voss flocs so well it carbonates quite slowly. On the other hand, I can gently empty the entire bottle and the microscopic layer of yeast at the bottom stays put. If you force-carb, then yeah, cold crash and it'll really clear up.

I've stopped cold-crashing. My 3rd-gen Voss flocs so well it carbonates quite slowly. On the other hand, I can gently empty the entire bottle and the microscopic layer of yeast at the bottom stays put. If you force-carb, then yeah, cold crash and it'll really clear up.
My first Kveik beer turned clear in a week without cold crash, it flocked pretty fast, but next time I made an IS and it's still hazy in the bottle after a couple month, fresh pitch from a packet both times and a similar recipe, the first one a stout and the second an imperial, crazy how this yeast behaves

A question for all the brewers on the forum that have used this yeast:

How do you like the aroma and the flavor of this yeast compared to other yeasts ? - may they produce more or less esters.

I am fairly new to brewing and thus don't have a lot of experience with different yeasts. So far I've tried fermenting with US-05, Lallbrew Voss Kveik and S-04.

A question for all the brewers on the forum that have used this yeast:

How do you like the aroma and the flavor of this yeast compared to other yeasts ? - may they produce more or less esters.

I am fairly new to brewing and thus don't have a lot of experience with different yeasts. So far I've tried fermenting with US-05, Lallbrew Voss Kveik and S-04.
Fermented at 36°C in a IS, no esters at all, to be fair it was really malty and hoppy so there wasn't much space for it to play

This strain seems to be quite versatile. I'm using it in an American wheat beer tomorrow.

I'm also finding that it floccs reasonably well, on par with something like US-05. It also doesn't matter if I chill to 60 or just 90. Still clears up in about 10 days (kegged).

Brewed up another Voss IPA yesterday. Pitched at 35C and the airlock started bubbling less than an hour later. Fermented so hard overnight that it blew the sanitiser clear out of the airlock. It was still going strong this morning but had slowed drastically in the last few hours. I'll wait another 2 days before taking a hydro sample, but it may well be done already, which would be insane.

First time Kveik user here, just brewed a Christmas Ale loosely based on a British Brown Ale, about 1.070 OG. Krausen showing 2 hours after 2 Voss packet pitch @ 93F! About 14 hours later the gravity was down to 1.024. Wow this stuff is fast.

I kegged my American wheat last night. It was an eight day turnaround, fermented at 78F, and that thing is as clean as a whistle. I was aiming for 78 to 80% attenuation, but I undershot my 154F target mash temp by 5 degrees. I applied heat to get it up to 154F, but the first few minutes decided the outcome and I ended up with 84% attenuation.

Has anyone been brewing West Coast IPAs with Voss? What did you go for on temperature? I have Lutra as well and may go that route, but I was t to give Voss a crack.

My main brew here in the restaurant is a dry hopped Pale a la Sierra Nevada, but using Voss instead of Chico. It ferments at room temp (here in the Caribbean, that's easily 90F) and is usually done within 3 days.

Brings a nice candied orange note that plays well with C hops in my experience!

I'm drinking a Galaxy, Ella, cascade IPA at 7.5% and used 15 oz of hops. The keg has been on tap for ~4 weeks and is very tasty but cloudy. I'm currently running Lutra , and both have ended clear in the fermenter. Not on tap yet,so no taste comparison. To me West Coast means crystal clear,and I'm hoping Lutra does the trick,but will be a while before I brew it.

I ferment in a Big Mouth bubbler and use the Depth charge for hopping. I wish they made the screen tube longer ,it only can hold 2 oz in the beer in the 6.5 size. So I just put them in on day 3 when there is still some activity , leave in for 5 days then keg.

Well, my American Wheat is perhaps my fifth kveik batch and I'm noticing the same thing each time. It does continue to change (and improve) over time. It's decent right away, but there's a greenness there in the young beer even if it doesn't come across as such. It takes 2 to 3 weeks for the malt character to really shine through.

Back