Lagering time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
I'm impatient. I brewed an Oktoberfest 5 weeks ago. 2 weeks in primary and 3 so far at 34F in keg. Pulled a couple of pints and it's ok. Not great but not bad.
My question is, will longer lagering time make a big difference? If I forget about it for a month or two will I come back to a much better beer? I suppose I could just leave it and answer my own question but I like to ask advise of people who know more than me!
Thanks!

I don't know if I know more then you but on my lagers, the higher the OG the longer they take to get to the sweet spot. Most make that beer ~1.060 and for me that requires 8 weeks lagering at ~38*, that's as cold as I can get without going to the lagerage', which is about ready here in wisconsin.

I give Marzen and Altier a good bit of time. Just taste them every now and then and you'll know when they're ready.

I read these threads (you probably have seen them too) about fast lager ferments, quick lagering time....and drinking them in a few days of quick carbing. Ok, to each his own and I am not here to slam another persons ideas.

When I do a lager, I look 3 months down the road. I like to start brewing summer lagers in February when others are sipping stouts. Impatience is typical especially if you don't have a full pipeline supply. Truth is a lager really starts getting prime after it has conditioned a couple of months. Sure you can knock one down in two weeks that is passable, but the difference between passable and prime will be obvious given the extra time.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I just wanted to hear that it is worth waiting the extra month or two. I don’t notice such a big difference with the ales I brew over time.

I currently have 5 kegs filled so I really should be able to wait the full time and enjoy the beer at its best!

Of course it's worth waiting! But the beauty of having it on tap is that you can taste it every week. Don't pull a full pint. Just try a couple of ounces at a time, then commence to drink your other beers. That keeps your patience in check and minimizes frustration - a win/win.

I brewed a Bohemian Pils 9 weeks ago and it is just now approaching its peak period of flavor and smoothness. However, it was good enough to taste as soon as it was carbonated. It spent 18 days in primary and then got kegged. So that means it's been sitting in the cold, on tap for 45 days now. It really does make a difference.

In my brew cave I have two lagering ATC freezers to condition kegs in the pipeline before bringing into the kegerator when one kicks. While in the lagering freezer kegs are on gas, then I'll have a picnic tap available to take small samples to test for readiness.

Similar to McKnuckle ^^^^^^, it is helpful to take small samples along the way to know when the beer is ready. I'll say this is an advantage kegging has over bottling. If I choose to bottle some beers when ready, I know the beer is prime when I bottle it and friends can consume immediately.

I'm impatient. I brewed an Oktoberfest 5 weeks ago. 2 weeks in primary and 3 so far at 34F in keg. Pulled a couple of pints and it's ok. Not great but not bad.

What is not right or missing from your beer?

When I first started making lager beer I would start checking as soon as I thought it would be carbonated, about 2 weeks, and many tasted pretty good then but most greatly improved with more time. I am a bit more patient now and normally don't start sampling until about 4 to 6 weeks.

For me my marzen/octoberfest beers seem to ripen faster than pale lagers so I do still check those earlier. I have one that has been lagering about 3 week and it is very drinkable but still has some hop presence I know will be smoothed out in a few more weeks.

Back