Lagering fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
What's the coldest you have gotten your fridge for lagering? I'm thinking of trying to get it down to 32°F but not sure a fridge can get that low...can it?

Fridge: 35-37* on full blast. The fridge in question is our 12 yr old house unit whose compressor couldn't keep up with multiple "openings and gazings" every day. So it got moved to the garage and used for lagering with much less gazing. It gets opened once or twice a week, max. We thought it was dead in mid-2016, but it has held a steady mid-to-high-30's once it only was used for soda kegs.

These temps measured March-May in the midwest. An NHC silver American Lager came out of this "maybe not-so ideal" setting, FWIW.

Yeah, I'd always choose 30-32* if possible, but IMO, if you can get a lagering fridge at least in the mid-30's, you're ok. Roll with it.

I want to start making more lagers. I have my ferm fridge and a keezer. The keezer can obviously get that low but I don't want my serving beers to be that cold. I guess I could always do 32°F and deal with slightly cold beer until the lager is done in a few weeks.

Back