Well Heck! Frozen home brew and my draft root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmo Peach

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My fridge was not cooling so I turned the dial to coldest. it was still 54 degrees f. I defrosted my fridge. That was Friday. So now for one day it was set to coldest setting today my beer in the Fermzilla and my kegged Root Beer froze. I am not worried about the Root Beer but wonder if anyone has frozen a beer that was fermenting. I think the fermentation had stopped. It was a lager using the Nova Lager yeast. To day would be the 8th day since it went into the Fermzilla. Any thoughts about the outcome of this brew?

My fridge was not cooling so I turned the dial to coldest. it was still 54 degrees f. I defrosted my fridge. That was Friday. So now for one day it was set to coldest setting today my beer in the Fermzilla and my kegged Root Beer froze. I am not worried about the Root Beer but wonder if anyone has frozen a beer that was fermenting. I think the fermentation had stopped. It was a lager using the Nova Lager yeast. To day would be the 8th day since it went into the Fermzilla. Any thoughts about the outcome of this brew?
I've (accidentally) frozen a beer SOLID while it was still fermenting. After I brought it in the house and warmed it up, I gave the bucket a good swirl, and it resumed fermenting after a day or so, and finished up just fine. Yeast was US-05.

When the Root Beer thaws out, and the temps rise back into your yeast's temp range, fermentation should resume, as long as there are any fermentables left. Give it another week (or 2) perhaps?

Which yeast (strain) did you use?

I've (accidentally) frozen a beer SOLID while it was still fermenting. After I brought it in the house and warmed it up, I gave the bucket a good swirl, and it resumed fermenting after a day or so, and finished up just fine. Yeast was US-05.

I've done that too.
A relay stuck (I believe) in my temperature controller.
20 gallons frozen solid.
When they thawed, they kept fermenting.

It happened another time when I was trying to cold crash (likely another stuck relay in another temperature controller)
Both have since been replaced.
The IIPA that froze solid, half was super clear and stronger than the other half, it would put a thumping on you.

I use a commercial Beverage Air box, I'm certain that it draws a bit more power that most residential units.

I also had a couple of yeast cakes freeze, that were in said fermentation chamber, power was off to the box, and the ambient temperature was down around 18 degrees for a week or so, and the unit was in an uninsulated brew shed. I checked on them once and knew that they were frozen solid. I've since used the said frozen yeast and it performed fine.

Latest posts

Back