Lager fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkarnas

Reaction score
Just brewed my first lager and after 48 hours there is no sign of fermentation and hydrometer readings are still at my OG of 1.048. I am fermenting in a glass carboy at a controlled 50 degrees. I used the dry yeast that came with the kit (brewers best Vienna lager). Im not too worried yet but any comments or suggestions my friends?

Just brewed my first lager and after 48 hours there is no sign of fermentation and hydrometer readings are still at my OG of 1.048. I am fermenting in a glass carboy at a controlled 50 degrees. I used the dry yeast that came with the kit (brewers best Vienna lager). Im not too worried yet but any comments or suggestions my friends?

Can you find the package of the yeast, and tell us exactly what strain you have? It's really important!

Yooper said:
Can you find the package of the yeast, and tell us exactly what strain you have? It's really important!

The yeast is Brewferm Lager. I pitched at 65 degrees per recipe.

Yooper said:
That's really weird- usually a 12 gram package would start right up. Since 59 degrees is still in that yeast strain's optimum fermentation range, I'd still try warming it a bit and repitch tomorrow if nothing happens by noon tomorrow.

By repitch, you mean I should buy more yeast and pitch that right?

Back