Kolsh fermentation profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a Kolsh for the first time. I am growing up some White Labs WLP029 German Ale Kolsh yeast to do the deed and was hoping for a little input on fermentation profiles. I have capability of full control of the fermentation. Would love some input from some that are familiar with the style/yeast.
Thanks

I do my Kolsch fermentation in the low 50°'s range & raise it for a few days to make sure I don't get any diacetyl. Then I cold crash to 34°-36° for a week then carb. I then lager in the low to mid 30°'s for a few weeks.

I have a kolsch finishing up now. I used wlp029. I fermented at 65 F. White labs states that the yeast doesn't ferment well below 62F. 7 days at 65, 2 days at 68 (diacetyl rest/let the yeast do a little mor work) transfer to secondary and bring down 5 deg a day to 35. Let cold crash/lager for 4 weeks. Used this process before and came out great

I just did one with 029 at 65 degrees for the first few days and let it rise towards the end. White Labs states the optimum range is 65-68 I think, but lots of people take it a little lower.

I have had good luck pitching this at 60 degrees and letting it rise to 70 over the course of fermentation. It is a very "fluffy" and stubborn yeast as far as floculation goes but I think it is the best kolsch yeast available.

After you are sure the beer is finished cold crashing sure helps drop the yeast....

I have my 029 on day 3 of fermentation. I had a tiny "starter" for it, but the airlock was finally really rolling this morning. I have it at 61, and I'll bump it to 65 at day 5, then 69 on day 7.
I see a lot of people "lager" these for a long time, I'm wondering if that's necessary?
Would just 1 week be ok for that? The whole reason I'm using Kolsch yeast is so I don't have to wait as long as a lager

I have my 029 on day 3 of fermentation. I had a tiny "starter" for it, but the airlock was finally really rolling this morning. I have it at 61, and I'll bump it to 65 at day 5, then 69 on day 7.
I see a lot of people "lager" these for a long time, I'm wondering if that's necessary?
Would just 1 week be ok for that? The whole reason I'm using Kolsch yeast is so I don't have to wait as long as a lager

Lagering is primarily for the yeast to drop out since it's not a very flocculant strain

Great input! Thanks to all. Is the Kolsh a lager-ale mix like a cream ale yeast?

No, it's an ale yeast that works well in that lager/ale temp overlap of 56-62 or so degrees. I ferment mine at 58* letting it rise after a week to about 65*

ETA: I've never had any trouble getting this yeast to ferment under 60* (I'm talking about the White Labs 029). I've always had it drop out well and leave a brilliant beer behind. It may be a little 'dusty' but I've never needed to cold crash or lager to get it to drop out.

Kolsch yeast is more of a hybrid ale yeast. The WYeast version (WY2565) can ferment in between lager and ale temps (55-60 is generally the range for that one, I like 58F).

I guess the 029 yeast ferments at ale temps, though I have not used that one. Agree on "lagering" is mainly to help floc out the powdery fine yeast that likes to hang in suspension. Adding gelatin to cold beer can help drop the yeast also.

Back