Kiwi Imperial IPA Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliClash

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Getting ready to brew my first Kiwi based IPA. What does everyone think of my recipe. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

6.0 gallons [Net: 5 gallons after hop loss]

Malt
13.25 lb Two-Row pale malt
0.6 lb Crystal 40 malt
0.6 lb CaraPils (Dextrin) Malt
0.75 lb Dextrose (corn) sugar

Hops
1oz. Green Bullet 90 minutes
1oz. Pacific Gem 45 minutes
2oz. Pacifica 30 minutes
1 oz. Motueka 20 minutes
1 oz. Nelson Sauvin 5 minutes
1oz. Motueka 5 minutes

Dry Hops
1oz. Motueka 7-9 days
1oz. Nelson Sauvin 7-9 days

1oz. Motueka 5 days
1oz. Nelson Sauvin 5 days

Extract Substitution

Substitute 6.5lb of light dry malt extract for two-row malt. Due to the large hop bill for this recipe, a full wort boil is recommended.

Steep grains in 1 gallon of water at 165° F for 30 minutes, then remove and rinse grains with hot water.

Stir in dextrose and top up kettle to 8 gallons, and bring to a boil.

Add hops as indicated in the recipe.

After a 90 minute boil, chill wort to 67° F and transfer to fermenter.

Pitch two packages of yeast or a yeast starter and aerate well.

Ferment at 67°F until fermentation activity subsides, then rack to secondary.

Add first set of dry hops on top of the racked beer and age 7-9 days then add the second set.

Age five more days then bottle or keg the beer.

White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast

Yeah, how does it look? Should I add or reduce anything. This is my first recipe I made from scratch so I am bit nervous.

Are you making a Pliny-like beer with NZ hops then? That's what the grainbill seems to be and the pliny clone has IMO an atypical schedule with the 30-90 min additions which look kinda like yours, but then you've also got additions at 20 and 5 which the pliny clone doesn't have. Have you plugged this in to software to get the numbers or is this a kit? I'd personally move some of those additions to flameout/whirlpool.

Edit: I see it isn't a kit. I'd plug in software and see where your IBU's are coming out.

Yes I'm doing a Pliny like clone but with New Zealand hops. I did tweak it a bit from what the Pliny recipe asked for. And added different hop addition times. What software do you suggest?

I'd go with BeerSmith, only $20-ish you can do / learn a lot with it. It's the only software I've ever used so I can't chime in about others.

I use Beersmith as well but any of the free online calculators would be fine just to get an idea. Brewers friend, brewtoad.

Back