"Kitchen Sink" IPA to use all my hops in the fridge? What do you guys think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendersrule

Reaction score
I have lots of hops in the freezer that I'd like to use up. Thought about making a straw-colored IPA that is very hop-forward w/out any caramel. I've learned of some breweries that add hop additions in late and have always liked how they tasted, so I'd like to do the same here.

What do you guys think about the hop blends? The idea with the F/O hops is to whirlpool them for 15 minutes or so before chilling.

https://brewgr.com/recipe/87712/wastehopper-ipa-ag-5g-recipe?public=true

Your definition of "lots of hops" is different than mine :) . Motueka plays well with Citra but I like it better on the hot side. I'd put the 1 oz of Motueka in the WP, .5 oz in the dry hop (not a huge change). I'd move the Simcoe to the dry hop, and make up the IBU's by moving the summit higher up in the boil (60 minutes). And your software doesn't seem to add IBU's from your flameout hops...not sure why. If you chilled to 160 before starting your WP, I'd understand, but at flameout you'll get some isomerization.

But your recipe looks fine, it will be a good beer as written :cool: .

Thanks @RCope!

Ask and you shall receive. I made those changes. Instead of boiling Summit for 60 minutes, I moved it to 30 minutes (first hop addition) and increased nugget from 8 minutes to 10 minutes. That's 55 IBUs, which should be good.

You bring up a good point. I have not ever done a "simulated" whirlpool, but I assume that instead of tossing in hops at flame out, that I should first chill to around 160, turn off chiller, then put in the "flame out" hops, then stir for 10-15 minutes for max extraction, then turn back on chiller and proceed as normal...

Lastly, I do need to figure out which yeast to use. US-05, S-04, or Nottingham....

BTW, I do have two more hops that I didn't care to use for htis beer...didn't seem like it fit. 1OZ of Magnum and 1OZ of Sirachi Ace.

love it. Some of my favorite beers were driven by cleaning out the freezer of hops, and/or using up the pile of left over specialty grains in vacuum bags.

I have a love/hate relationship with Magnum. I brew small batch 2.5 gals, so it becomes a bittering ball hog leaving little room for adding flavor and aroma hops.

fwiw. I would go with the 05. When I think of "hop forward" 05 comes to mind. For me, 04 and nottingham are what I use when I make English ales with breaddy malts and noble hops.

I often WP around 180...I like some IBU's from my WP and there is no real consensus on WP temp. And some hops seem to benefit from a bit more heat. But 160 will give you little, if any isomerization and still have good extraction in 15 or 20 minutes. I would save the Magnum and Sorachi Ace for a different beer.

And I agree with @NSMikeD, 05 will give you that WCIPA vibe, which the recipe supports.

Awesome guys. Thanks for the help. Just built the water profile.

She's ready to roll.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 7.43.12 PM.png

Im actually considering to use 4Oz of dryhopping for this beer. I'd like it to be a bit on the juicy side.

1Oz Simcoe
1Oz Citra
2Oz Mosiac (or Amarillo)

Does the 2Oz of Mosiac (or Amarillo) addition sound good for you guys? I've always done 2Oz of dry hoping, but I'd like to see if I can "up" the floral just a bit more and try 4Oz this time. It is called the "WasteHopper IPA" afterall. :)

Last edited:
Back