Kegging --> Stabilizing --> Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theinterneti

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been answered before, but after some searching I'd like a more definitive answer. If there IS a great answer out there that I'm missing, maybe add it to the kegging FAQ?

I've just kegged my third batch. I'm having a ton of fun with it and the brews are tastier than ever! I'd like the ability to bottle significant portions of backsweetened brews (cider, hard ginger ale, etc.) from the keg and hold those bottles safely at room temperature for some time. As far as I can tell, this can be done by 'stabilizing' with a blend of K-Meta and K-Sorb.

Found Yoopers suggestion to add...
K-Meta @ 1 campden/gallon and
K-Sorb @ 1/4 tsp per gallon, not more than 1.5 tsp for 5 gallons.​
I saw a number of other sources suggesting using K-meta then K-sorb 24 hours later.

So I did that to my just finished S-04 tree top cider, which is in the keg and successfully force-carbed. Can I now safely bottle this off and store those bottles for extended periods, maybe even up to a year?

Will the stabilized cider continue to 'condition', improving flavor? I've seen some mixed reports on this that have me concerned.

Back