Kegcowboy.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted the following in the Vendor Showcase "Free Shipping" thread before I knew this forum existed:

Anyone else having troubles with shipments from Keg Cowboy? I place an order for a wort chiller on December 7th (supposed in stock), but I have yet to receive it. The order status shows "shipped" but I've only received a hose that was part of the order. There's no tracking information and they aren't responding to e-mail requests or posting on their web site about the order.

Are they just flaky or should I be worried? They seem to have several fans here, but currently, I don't see why.

Update: Well, their voice mailbox is full, they don't respond to e-mail and my credit card was charged on December 8th. Looks like I'm going to have to dispute the charges.

Are they still in business?​

I've since disputed the charge with my credit card company. At this point, I cannot consider them an honest merchant. An honest merchant would have been more responsive. I've seen this before, it's never a good thing.

Update: 2011-12-23, after disputing the charge, Jeff asks if this is my first communication (far from it). Then he tells the shop not to send anything since I've disputed the charge. He states:
Our hands are tied as the charge has been disputed with the bank which they may process the refund without contacting us.* So now we can neither refund the purchase or send the product until the bank contacts us. - Jeff

This is total BS. That's not how bank's process credit card disputes and if he has half a brain he knows that. This is not the first credit card dispute to come his way. I have to question either his competence or honesty. I don't know if he's going out of business now or not, but these are all classic signs of such.

I'm not defending Keg Cowboy - I happend to believe they are going through the same thing I was going through when I failed.

But they are correct about the dispute / chargeback. The money is held for up to 90 days while the dispute is being investigated and he can't ship because as far as he is concerned the order is no longer paid for.

Tom

I'm not defending Keg Cowboy - I happend to believe they are going through the same thing I was going through when I failed.

But they are correct about the dispute / chargeback. The money is held for up to 90 days while the dispute is being investigated and he can't ship because as far as he is concerned the order is no longer paid for.

Tom

That's right. You have essentially stopped payment when you go through the bank. My bank (a big one) has been incredibly slow to respond to anything in the past.

Tom

That's not how my bank explains the process to me. While I'm issued a provisional credit for the disputed charge, the merchant is given a chance to respond and resolve the issue. If we agree the issue is resolved (for example, by completing shipment), then the dispute on the charge is canceled. The merchant then has payment.

However, if what you say is more accurate of the practice, this creates a bit of a catch-22. Keg Cowboy ignored several queries about the status of my order. Only after disputing the charge and telling them I had done so did they finally respond. The messages from Jeff to the "shop" imply that they thought the order was completed. I didn't see that I had any other choice, I don't dispute charges lightly but given the lack of response on Keg Cowboy's part, I had no other choice.

Their insistance that "their hands are tied" now means the only resolution is to cancel/refund the order. I need a chiller and I'm going to have to order one somewhere else. Accepting one from Keg Cowboy is no longer a viable option due to their actions.

That's not how my bank explains the process to me. While I'm issued a provisional credit for the disputed charge, the merchant is given a chance to respond and resolve the issue. If we agree the issue is resolved (for example, by completing shipment), then the dispute on the charge is canceled. The merchant then has payment.

However, if what you say is more accurate of the practice, this creates a bit of a catch-22. Keg Cowboy ignored several queries about the status of my order. Only after disputing the charge and telling them I had done so did they finally respond. The messages from Jeff to the "shop" imply that they thought the order was completed. I didn't see that I had any other choice, I don't dispute charges lightly but given the lack of response on Keg Cowboy's part, I had no other choice.

Their insistance that "their hands are tied" now means the only resolution is to cancel/refund the order. I need a chiller and I'm going to have to order one somewhere else. Accepting one from Keg Cowboy is no longer a viable option due to their actions.

Your bank explained the process from your perspective.

But you are correct in one aspect - the bank issues you a immediate provisional credit.

Merchant chargebacks do not work the same as PayPal complaints. PayPal complaints can be issued then resolved, releasing funds immediately. The merchant account charge back process is very different from what you understand. As soon as a registered complaint is received by the merchant company they lock down the equivalent funds until the investigation is settled. And these funds are not available to the merchant for 90 days or more.

I just had a charge back settle in my favor and the associated purchase was made on Sept 2. That's 3-1/2 months ago!!! And for the entire time the money has been locked up & out of my hands. And BTW the customer has had the product for 3 months.

Tom

Actually both kegconnection and keg cowboy are expanding and appear to be growing. Keg connection just moved their whole operation to a large warehouse in Commanche Texas and Keg Cowboy opened a store in a different state and moved their shipping to a large out of state facility following Amazon when Amazon left Texas. I also heard that they were hiring for a second store. I bet some of these complaints for these companies are from them moving their facilities right before Christmas. It is also kind of wierd that both companies decided to expand at almost the same time.

Actually both kegconnection and keg cowboy are expanding and appear to be growing. Keg connection just moved their whole operation to a large warehouse in Commanche Texas and Keg Cowboy opened a store in a different state and moved their shipping to a large out of state facility following Amazon when Amazon left Texas. I also heard that they were hiring for a second store. I bet some of these complaints for these companies are from them moving their facilities right before Christmas. It is also kind of wierd that both companies decided to expand at almost the same time.

I have a lot of respect for Keg Connection and I believe they are great business but you have not changed my opinion of Keg Cowboy.

I have had nothing but great luck with Keg Connection. Keg Cowboy spends more time handing out coupons and posting pictures than communicating with it's customers and fulfilling orders.

I have had nothing but great luck with Keg Connection. Keg Cowboy spends more time handing out coupons and posting pictures than communicating with it's customers and fulfilling orders.

My exact thoughts...kegconnection was wonderful, I recommended them to two other people who also had fantastic buying experiences with them.

Seems Kegcowboy is active about promoting his site. So I don't understand why the ordering process is so error filled. I hardly see anyone jumping to his defense here...so it makes me see that his store is not worth the hassle.

Since seeing this thread over two months ago and being in the market for a plate chiller and march pump I was hoping to see some positive remarks to help me feel more comfortable ordering. He has great prices, but here and other places on the web have too many bad reviews on his site. So I couldn't bring myself to have my family order through Kegcowboy and possibly deal with this for my Xmas presents, so I told them to order elsewhere and pay a little more. Both items came without a hitch.

Hopefully kegcowboy is reading this stuff and planning to improve his business.

A joke. Called and asked about kegs before driving to town and was told he had some. Made the trip in and was told he could get some...

**** I can get some sometime, I was expecting to buy them there not get a "sometime soon" answer.

Will never go back to Kegcowboy.com or refer to this joint, there are too many other choices that are honest places that are not interested in wasting your time.

A joke. Called and asked about kegs before driving to town and was told he had some. Made the trip in and was told he could get some...

**** I can get some sometime, I was expecting to buy them there not get a "sometime soon" answer.

Will never go back to Kegcowboy.com or refer to this joint, there are too many other choices that are honest places that are not interested in wasting your time.

Didn't you ask them to hold them for you? It is possible that they could have sold out while you drove...

I don't think kegcowboy actually inventories much. Based upon the complaints they receive, I think they dropship most everything from third parties.

TheMan said:
Didn't you ask them to hold them for you? It is possible that they could have sold out while you drove...

Yes they were "on hold". I guess I have a different definition of holding merch for a customer. He didn't seem shocked at all that the kegs he supposedly had were gone making me think they were never there in the first place. The best i can come up with is an attempt to get customers to drive in and buy other things.

I guess AHBS will get my business yet again.

you recieved notice of the backorder...that sounds like improvement on their end. I'd give them a couple extra days to respond

you recieved notice of the backorder...that sounds like improvement on their end. I'd give them a couple extra days to respond

Yeah after reading the horror stories I suppose I should wait. However it took me a week to even get the backorder notification. I need the kegs and I'm not willing to wait a month to get them.

chrismcdaniel3128 said:
has any one had any luck getting any answers from keg cowboy in the last two weeks?

I didn't hear anything from them until I told them I had disputed the credit card charge with my bank. Then I heard things but nothing satisfactory.

yeah i'm sure wishing i would have found this thread before ordering, and if they would just leave some feedback, i would sure feel a lot better, i understand products being backordered, but i don't understand being charged when they know they can't ship. I guess as long as i get what i ordered it'll be ok i just won't be ordering from them again.

Great business model here for the business, but not the customers. Keg Cowboy never has to buy any product stock in advance, as they let the customer pay in advance, and then order the product. They get the profit from the customer in a risk free manner.

thank god people are posting reviews on the coupon thread. It is not right to have a neutral thread (but because coupons are good, it seems like positive thread) about a merchant separate from a "review thread", where the feeling is mostly negative.

I will never order from them again and will tell everyone I know to do the same.

thank god people are posting reviews on the coupon thread. It is not right to have a neutral thread (but because coupons are good, it seems like positive thread) about a merchant separate from a "review thread", where the feeling is mostly negative.

I will never order from them again and will tell everyone I know to do the same.

I've tried every way that is available to contact these guys and nothing. I have no idea whats going on with my order and I haven't heard a thing from them. It really is unbelievable.

Rickycore said:
I've tried every way that is available to contact these guys and nothing. I have no idea whats going on with my order and I haven't heard a thing from them. It really is unbelievable.

Sounds like you need to dispute your payment and go elsewhere.

So far I'm not all impressed with customer service with these guys. I placed my 4 keg kit system on the 27th of December to find out it is on backorder. I checked my banking account to find out the transaction posted, so it is bought and paid for. I've called many times to get only voice mail, sent out e-mail with no response. All I'm asking for is when will it ship. I'm thinking I should've ordered from Austin Home Brew.

He has had some internal buisness problems but he is working feverishly to make them right he posted this on another thread lastnight.
I have been out of pocket for six days. After the numerous complaints of "I got part of my order but not the rest", or "I haven't gotten anything yet", "or gee thanks but you sent me two" ...........I hopped on a plane to see what the problem was and when I saw the extent it took four days of packing and two days of driving the equipment 1000 miles.

Without getting into specifics all of the shipping has been moved to South Carolina where I can personally inspect and test every order. If you have a beef from now on it is my fault directly. My email is [email protected] my cell phone number is 281-772-2070. The trucks have been unloaded as of yesterday although myself and the new employees are still unpacking everything. I hope to have every outstanding order on its way by Friday of next week. Many will go out by Tuesday. I am truly sorry for causing anyone anger and am taking every step to make sure this never happens again. I apologize for being out of contact for six days but the issue required my immediate attention even though it meant being away from my family over the holidays. - Jeff

Thank you Jeff for the response. Great, your in SC now, I live on the NC, SC boarder. I'm hoping that will speed up my shipment.

I've not had good luck with KegConnection.. They shipped me a set of faucets missing two of the three plastic collars and (it's such a cheap part) I couldn't get an email response and left a message twice for ANthony. I finally just ordered replacements from Northern Brewer with another order.

KC is struck off my list (and for such a minor freaking thing)...

Thats weird that these problems are being blamed on the move. I had this problem with them last April when it took 3 weeks to get a Perlick faucet and shank. I was told that it was their suppliers problem and "sometimes" things get backordered. This was after several emails that were never answered and a couple phone calls.

Back